Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning all,

Being new to Alfas but being aware of the history I know I should expect electrical gremlins but this is a just a small one. The heater on my 96 GTV works only on max fan setting, its works well sure but its a tad annoying having to have it on max all the time to clear the screen. Does anyone know how to get to the back of the switch so I can check the contacts or replace it if needs be? I guess it will need a little dash dismantling but i'm wondering where to start of if there is an easy way to check it?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
There's a fuse underneath the passenger side of the dashboard which has probably gone.

R

·
0 Posts
Wrinx had a similar problem with his spider recently although his wouldn't work until warm, don't know if he ever sorted it though.........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gary,

thanks for the suggestion. is this fuse in the glovebox somewhere? I thought about a fuse but guessed it would've stopped the fan working completely?

David

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I'm not too sure to be honest. I had the same problem with my GTV just after I bought it, and they messed about under the passenger dash. See if you can see any wires going across from the centre console.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It should be Fuse 3 which is 30A and is located under the bonnet just in front of the left hand side of the bulkhead. Wouldn't have thought it was that because the fan wouldn't work at all if the fuse had blown. I would suspect the switch itself.

R

·
0 Posts
The fan runs on max speed, by running a direct connection from the battery +ve to the chassis (ie. full 12VDC or whatever) the other speeds are all run through resistors that limit the power to the fan thus making it spin slower (ohm's law).

I would suspect the switch resistances have been damaged or something similar. Try removing the switch and testing the resistance across it in each position.
For reference, here's the resistances of the main components:
- 1st speed on switch 3.55 Ohms
- 2nd speed on switch 1.35 Ohms
- 3rd speed on switch 0.35 Ohms

Does that help at all?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
nosbork said:
It should be Fuse 3 which is 30A and is located under the bonnet just in front of the left hand side of the bulkhead. Wouldn't have thought it was that because the fan wouldn't work at all if the fuse had blown. I would suspect the switch itself.
Yeah, but there is an in-line fuse too :)

W

·
0 Posts
Should be dead easy this. The thermal resistor is nakkered, when dead they only run on the maximum setting as there's a by-pass in the wiring.

Circa £34 from a dealer.

If you poke your head in the passenger footwell, right to the front of the car you'll see a large round thing, about 150mm in diameter, that's the fan. To the right of it and slightly behind is the resistor, there's a wire attached so you should be able to find it easily (green or red oval base).

Two screws hold it in iirc.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
robf781 said:
Wrinx had a similar problem with his spider recently although his wouldn't work until warm, don't know if he ever sorted it though.........
Still not sure about this....I've got hold of a second hand resistor and it now works but the car has been in our garage for a week, I still suspect water ingress!!!

Windscreen is not bonded properly so that won't help :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
wrinx said:
Err...the fan still wouldn't work if it had blown :rolleyes:

wrinx
:rolleyes: Thanks for that Wrinx. You are correct, it was the thermal resistor I was thinking off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you one and all for this, am currently holidaying in Tallinn but will give this a try when I get back tomorrow.......

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts