Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

New member here. First time caller!

I joined this forum after my wife's recently purchased '98 2.0 GTV's heater fan inside the cabin totally stopped working (including position 4). I have been silently searching the threads for a couple of months now. Although there is a lot of people that appear to have the same or similar problem, there seem to be a lot of posts that end with "took it to an auto electrician and cured it" but no real info as to how.

I have been frustatedly working on this problem for ages now, and today, (after having most of the dashboard out!!) I have managed to solve the problem, so I thought I'd post how in case it helps others. If this is already in the archives, apologies, but I couldn't find it.

When the problem first occurred, the fan would occasionally kick in (in any position) after the car had been running for a while, and then wouldn't work again after the ignition was switched off for a bit. I was convinced it would be a relay, but finding where this relay was was a massive quest. It eventually died completely.

After reading posts on here with helpful info, I have had the fan, fan control switch and resistor pack out, had most of the engine bay panels removed testing voltages/continuity and looking for hidden relays, but couldn't find the fault.

After removing the fuel gage central part of the dash, centre console and tracing the looms by hand today, I finally found the blower relay.

It is a 30A (yellow) relay in a block of two (I think the other one is brown) that are screwed to the RHS of the central fuel gauge console inside the LHS of the driver's dashboard (above the clutch pedal) right up at around fuel gauge height.

You can access this by removing the allen-head-secured panel under the steering column (around the bonnet release) next to the panel that comes off to expose the fuse box. In ours, there was a really tight loom in the way, and I had to unscrew one side of the bracket that holds the two relays in place and swing it downwards to get the relay out.

You could see burning on the casing. I swapped it for the one in the main fuse box that controls the heated mirrors. We may have lost those, but the cabin is all nice and toasty now with a working heater!

Remembering how to put it all back together was fun, but there you go!

I just need to source another relay for the mirrors now!

I just wanted to post this to save others the anguish of what I've been through. I am not a mechanic, an auto electrician and I'm certainly not an "enthusiastic" amateur! I am a tightwad though, and I didn't want to pay a garage many hours labour retracing all the things I'd done.

Hopefully, if you get the same fault, this is one check you can do without having to destroy all of your dashboard like me! Note, this was due to lack of power to the fan altogether - i.e. not working at all, so those who have fans that work in some positions and not others - I would expect this to be something different.

One thing I will say - you do need to be a contortionist to get to and see these relays. I had to sit on the open door sill (facing out) and then lie backwards across the seat with my head under the dash. Not bad for a fat bloke!

Hope this is good info, and apologies if I've sounded patronising at any point to you experts.

Cheers!

Gusbry_GTV

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
:thumbs: Nice post, I'm sure it will be of help to many people. Hope you are enjoying the pleasures of Alfa motoring. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erm, sorry, I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but wife's choice, not mine. I fought against it and lost, and now I'm having to spend most of the freezing winter keeping the damn thing on the road!!

Haven't plucked up the courage to say I told her so! It's a hollow victory anyway! Not the most comfy vehicle for a 6 foot plus bloke!

I am just thankful for this forum, otherwise we'd have lost even more money on it. I admire all of you and your dogged determination to want one of these cars. I salute you!

I must admit, the odd time I do get to drive it, if it's working, it is good fun.

Not a happy bunny at the moment, but I may be persuaded in time!!

Cheers,

Gusbry_GTV

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
Erm, sorry, I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but wife's choice, not mine. I fought against it and lost, and now I'm having to spend most of the freezing winter keeping the damn thing on the road!!

Haven't plucked up the courage to say I told her so! It's a hollow victory anyway! Not the most comfy vehicle for a 6 foot plus bloke!

I am just thankful for this forum, otherwise we'd have lost even more money on it. I admire all of you and your dogged determination to want one of these cars. I salute you!

I must admit, the odd time I do get to drive it, if it's working, it is good fun.

Not a happy bunny at the moment, but I may be persuaded in time!!

Cheers,

Gusbry_GTV
If you drive it enough you may be converted yet...... At any rate enjoy it for what it is, if you weren't spending money on the car you'd only waste it on things like food and clothing ! :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Maybe related. I have no fans and on investigation found this broken wire. Looks like it is earthed to this point but on the few GTV’s I have owned, have never seen this before. Gave off a spark when I put them together....
Can anyone throw any light on it?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts