Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is gunk under the oil filler cap a sure sign the cylinder head gasket has gone ive looked at the car with a view to buying it,, the car has been stood for some time but started on the turn of the key. thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Cars left standing or not used much often get a mayonnaise on the oil filler cap, especially in winter I believe.

Have a look in the water reservoir, is it greasy? Look again when the engine is running and see if it is bubbling at all. Now that would be the sign of a blown head gasket.

Mayonnaise on the filler cap is not a sure sign of head gasket failure, just a pointer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers muz thanks for the reply, i checked the water reservoir and it looked fine, will go for a test drive and check it out further thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
cheers muz thanks for the reply, i checked the water reservoir and it looked fine, will go for a test drive and check it out further thanks
If you want to be sure the head gasket is OK, make sure it's a decent length test drive to get the car up to temperature, it will generally start to overheat if the head gasket has gone, so keep your eye on the water temp gauge.You'll also probably be puffing vapour from the exhaust. This is normal when cold but definitely not when up to temperature. I once bought a car with a blown head gasket, it was the one and only time I've been had.....so far!!

It was an Alfa Spider Duetto boat tail. I looked at it, at night, in the rain under a street lamp and bought it with my heart and not my head.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The twinspark engine seldom gets mayo of any degree in the cap unless the head is going.A light misting of whiteness is normal but anything you can dig out with your fingers especially say the amount of a couple murrey mints is doom.Engines do vary because it would be quite normal to spoon gunk out of a fiesta oil filter cap without the head being gone.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Mayonnaise on the filler cap is usually found on cars that do short trips without reaching full temp. The emulsion is formed from condensation on the cold engine components mixing with the oil.
The head gasket scare is an urban myth perpetuated by magazine articles and people like Mike Brewer who repeats it on virtually every TV show he does.
For coolant to get into the oil via the head gasket with no other symptoms would be very unusual, I've never seen it happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts