Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
It should be self-adjusting, but the two methods I'm aware of if it needs a tweak are a small nut under the handbrake handle, hidden inside the gaiter, and if this isn't enough there's a more substantial adjustment to be had from the cable linkage hdden behind the heat shield, above the exhaust centre section. I think some adjustment is available at the calipers too.

Best of luck

·
Registered
435 Posts
Previous post didn't appear so reposted. Now I've got two. Doh!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Thanks for this advise I found the 1 under tha gaiter and tighten it up as far as I could, could really do with doing a bit more ? will have to take it to a mechanic friend I think,
cheers

Ben

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to add, is a dodgy sensor on the hadbrake normal as an alfa quirk?? I have noticed it more recently , the handbreak is defo down but the ! sign on the clocks flickers on a fair bit but the more it warms up the less it flashes up?

Cheers
Ben

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
Forgot to add, is a dodgy sensor on the hadbrake normal as an alfa quirk?? I have noticed it more recently , the handbreak is defo down but the ! sign on the clocks flickers on a fair bit but the more it warms up the less it flashes up?

Cheers
Ben
Two possibilities here ;-

1.The handbrake " On " Warning light also doubles as a low level Hydraulic warning ligt and comes on if the fluid level in tyhe combined Brake/Clutch reservoir is low. This is usually the case and is often caused by a leaking Clutch Slave Cylinder, you should get this checked asap. I'm 99% that this will be the problem.

Or

2. Could be the micro switch located in the Gaiter which brings the light on when the handbrake is engaged, it's an odd looking switch but a good dose of Switch Cleaner/WD 40 sorted mine out 18 months ago.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've fallen into the trap of trying to adjust a self-adjusting handbrake before. Trying to pull-up the cables usually makes things worse.If the lever on the back of the calliper can't return fully home, because someones over-tightened the cables or it's seized up or covered in muck, the self-adjust can be defeated. The travel end up longer rather than shorter.
And I guess it might make putting fresh pads in difficult.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Had similar issues with my GTV handbrake. Turns out that when the rear disks were changed the muppet didn't wind out the self adjusters and these then got knackered by the new disks & pads. Could not get the handbrake to hold for love nor money, having gone down the route of trying to tighten the handbrake using all the available adjusters. It was only when the disks needed changing again was this picked up, by then it was a case of new calipers as the originals were beyond economic repair!!!
Check your calipers, and especially the self adjusters are working properly before playing with the cables, it could turn out costly like mine did :cry:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I suppose the pads, pistons and calliper pins are free?? I've just had mine apart as they'd frozen up and it's amazing how much better the handbrake feels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI all,
Nige005 looks like you were right, all it needed was some more brake / clutch fluid, was just low, not having the car very long I hadn't even checked that yet ( i know very bad & extremely lucky)
So not to tempt any fate , she likes a top up and is happier for it,
it and I will keep an eye on it should it be the slave cylinder you mentioned .
While I was out there with my tourch she got some more anti freeze & how big is the washer water bottle??? I had to fill the 2 lt coke bottle 3 times! so now I can clean my windscreen :)

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
146 Posts
My handbrake wasn't done properly when I had the rear pads changed. Way I fixed it was as it says in the workshop manual. Slacken the nut under the handbrake right off, pump the brake pedal about 10 times and then tighten the nut as necessary. Turned out it was way to tight, works perfect now.

·
16,368 Posts
HI all,
Nige005 looks like you were right, all it needed was some more brake / clutch fluid, was just low, not having the car very long I hadn't even checked that yet ( i know very bad & extremely lucky)
So not to tempt any fate , she likes a top up and is happier for it,
it and I will keep an eye on it should it be the slave cylinder you mentioned .
While I was out there with my tourch she got some more anti freeze & how big is the washer water bottle??? I had to fill the 2 lt coke bottle 3 times! so now I can clean my windscreen :)

Cheers
Ben
:thumbs: No Probs Ben, glad you're sorted out ! Just keep an eye on it to ensure that you don't have a leak although the level will drop SLIGHTLY as the pads wear.

No idea of the capacity of the washer bottle except that it's lots ! Mine looked to be half full on Monday and I stuck 2 Litres in and it's still not full ! Still better than the old colostomy bag on the 'sud, about 100cc that was ! :eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI Nige005,
looks like it is the leaky slave cylinder.... do you know if this is a big / expensive job?

or is it a job my mate might be able to do at home as he is a mechanic ??

Cheers
Ben

·
16,368 Posts
HI Nige005,
looks like it is the leaky slave cylinder.... do you know if this is a big / expensive job?

or is it a job my mate might be able to do at home as he is a mechanic ??

Cheers
Ben
Not a difficult job Ben but a lot easier if you can get good access from underneath I believe. Think I paid about £60 for the job on mine, the guy who did it said that once you've done it once it only takes about half an hour. The part costs about £35 - £45 I believe.

Glad you've located the problem and I don't think you'll have any problems with your mate doing it for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I thought I'd read that the 2 litre had a concentric slave inside the bellhousing?? Gearbox out if it is, the 3-litre is external mounted on top of the box so is a very simple job.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Slave cylinder is on the top of the bellhousing on the TS too. Changing it is a real easy job - did mine the other night in about half an hour. Access is from the top and about all you'll need to remove for access is the attenuator box on the induction pipe (if you still have it).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,
Was the Slave Cylinder , my mate changed it last weekend, was only a small hole in the rubber boot, replaced the 2 back handbrake cables so now just need to workout whats going on with the random abs sensor kicking in and I will be happy with the other parts of her Character :)

·
16,368 Posts
Hi All,
Was the Slave Cylinder , my mate changed it last weekend, was only a small hole in the rubber boot, replaced the 2 back handbrake cables so now just need to workout whats going on with the random abs sensor kicking in and I will be happy with the other parts of her Character :)
:thumbs: One problem less to worry about !

As an aside, what colour are your carpets ? Mine looks as if they should be black OR green. As it is they are a sort of mottled affect of both colours, a bit odd. Dunno what happened in the past, looks almost as if someone had tried to clean them with bleach ! :eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine are a really light colour? like a cream colour

although no where near at the moment they are in need of a good clean. 1 of my summer projects is to get a darker carpet or some decent mats because its gets dirty so easy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts