Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm thinking of replacing the shocks and springs on my ph2 Gtv v6. She is 98 model and still on the original parts so should I buy new OEM or go for aftermarket parts?
I only use the car for b road blasts and not on the track or anything but I'm not sure what shocks and spring to get?!

Any help would be much appreciated?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Have a look on this post http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/974682-rear-shockers-choice.html

I recently overhauled my 17 year old suspension to a complete replacement of everything. Now got KONI SR-T (Orange) Dampers with Suplex Springs all round. The ride and handling is now superb and basically feels like a brand new car.

You will need to include the following list of parts to this overhaul:-

x2 Dampers
x2 Springs
x2 Drop Links
x2 Rubber Covers for Dampers (OE ones on Ebay for about £14.00)

Check the Front Lower Wishbone Arms, as you may want to replace those at the same time. Go for either TRW or Febi Bilstein, avoid any cheap Chinese Crap!

Check your Track Rod Ends, the Birth Italy ones are very good, not that expensive and hardly any labour to swap out, then you got a nicely sorted front end.

Don't forget to do a x4 wheel alignment following the changes :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
+1

Make sure that it is a real x4 alignment, some places say it's x4 but really only have a front alignment equipment!!!!
Basically avoid National Tyres! with their yester-years alignment system :lol:

F1 Auto Centres and Pro-Tyre Centres have a decent enough 4-wheel alignment for around £60-£90.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks all very useful! I've replaced the front lower wishbones, drop links and bump stops as the bushes were gone. That made a big difference , I might wait a while before doing the shocks and springs etc she's eating into my wallet at the moment !

I had no advisory on the mot for the these how can I tell if they are actually knackered? There's no knocking or banging on the car is it just something I'd feel? It's hard to know without driving one that's had a complete overhaul to compare with haha

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am about to have my new front Koni ST shocks replaced by the adjustable Koni Sports. Ride is fine, smooth and compliant, but too much bounce due to under damping of the Suplex springs. However, might feel fine for some people, just sharing my situation.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
They may pass the MOT, but when you get new dampers and springs all round, you then realise how crap your 90's suspension has become over the years.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I am about to have my new front Koni ST shocks replaced by the adjustable Koni Sports. Ride is fine, smooth and compliant, but too much bounce due to under damping of the Suplex springs. However, might feel fine for some people, just sharing my situation.
It's not the springs, it's the shocks....which is why you're changing them surely?

Edit: Having re read your post (don't you just love the English language!), I presume you mean that the 'under damping of the Suplex springs' is being critical of the Koni ST shocks not the Suplex springs......of which I agree. They are a very good budget shock though, a vast improvement over worn out old shocks & there's very little choice available for the V6.

Clive

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Totally get where your coming from there, I found the koni str range not really that good with standard spec springs. In fact, they are a cheap, not great, shock absorber to buy. I too found them bouncy above 80 mph.

They koni yellow adjustable shocks are brilliant (I have these on my green V6) especially with eibach springs. I do use my car for track days though :biglaugh:

·
Registered
43 Posts
So what would you all recommend for a daily driver V6? My front suspension is all original and feels tired, but I'm very wary of having something too harsh as I do a reasonable amount of miles and am really not bothered about those extra two tenths you might gain on track (that's what the track car is for!). I test drove a V6 advertised with Bilstein suspension and it was unbearable.

I need to replace top mounts too but am having issues finding both sides, can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
So what would you all recommend for a daily driver V6? My front suspension is all original and feels tired, but I'm very wary of having something too harsh as I do a reasonable amount of miles and am really not bothered about those extra two tenths you might gain on track (that's what the track car is for!). I test drove a V6 advertised with Bilstein suspension and it was unbearable.

I need to replace top mounts too but am having issues finding both sides, can anyone help?
Koni STRs

Clive

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
TRW are a good shock, Alfa fitted these from the factory.

Koni yellow are an excellent shock just a little pricey. Top adjustable so you don't have to have a hard ride, couple these with Suplex springs.

Top mounts are no longer available so it will be difficult finding a pair.

Give Alfashop a call for a good price on new parts.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hobson's choice

Although I agree with Andy, the reason I suggested Koni STRs is price & availability. Most people who've fitted them, including Andy, on initial driving say how good they are. Also I'm not sure if anything else is currently available. I had Alfashop's last pair of originals & Alfa no longer supply them. So if that is the case, & no one's holding old stock, then you're only choice is Koni Sport or Koni STR.

If searching the internet beware as many are listed incorrectly, normally confusing/listing V6 12v for V6 24v.

Clive

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have to ask a question in here: i have Bilstein B6 all around and my rear is leaking oil so i need to replace them, is this common with bilstein or should i get another pair of rear shocks? its on eibach 20mm. personally i love the ride, i think its quite comfy and firm when it needs to be. is there any rules when it comes to mixing shocks front to rear?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I have to ask a question in here: i have Bilstein B6 all around and my rear is leaking oil so i need to replace them, is this common with bilstein or should i get another pair of rear shocks? its on eibach 20mm. personally i love the ride, i think its quite comfy and firm when it needs to be. is there any rules when it comes to mixing shocks front to rear?
No, fit what you want but with B6s probably better with something firmer than std. I'd fit either KYBs or Koni Sports but the latter are 'quite' hard.

Clive

·
Registered
43 Posts
TRW are a good shock, Alfa fitted these from the factory.

Koni yellow are an excellent shock just a little pricey. Top adjustable so you don't have to have a hard ride, couple these with Suplex springs.

Top mounts are no longer available so it will be difficult finding a pair.

Give Alfashop a call for a good price on new parts.
Oh no really? I'm convinced my left hand top mount is knocking. Does anyone know a way of refurbishing them? I haven't seen one off the car. Plan B would be to design some solid top mounts I guess, shouldn't be too much hassle.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's not the springs, it's the shocks....which is why you're changing them surely?

Edit: Having re read your post (don't you just love the English language!), I presume you mean that the 'under damping of the Suplex springs' is being critical of the Koni ST shocks not the Suplex springs......of which I agree. They are a very good budget shock though, a vast improvement over worn out old shocks & there's very little choice available for the V6.

Clive
Yes Clive, you have it right. Suplex springs offer good performance and value, Koni ST shocks also good but just a little weak for full damping of the front springs (according to my perception and preference). Excellent value and certainly a comfortable and sure ride. According to Koni the STR are supposed to mimic OEM and the lowest adjustable setting on the Sports is the same. Chap on here told me that the middle Sport setting is what works for him, so I am going to give it a go; certainly quite a step up in cost.

I would also add that the damping seems to be slowly improving with time, perhaps as the spring weaken off a little, so that is good for the STRs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bilstein shocks if you can find them, with suplex springs are a vast improvement over old oem, and not too hard unlike the Koni adjustables

1 - 20 of 32 Posts