Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i know this probably going to seem like a really stupid question to you folk out there, but can any one tell me how to remove the front bumper of my 96 gtv, it's probably really obvious but i cant work it out,

thanks for any help
sprite:eek::cry:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

I removed mine around a month back, it not too difficult just take your time and be ready when it comes off…its heavy.

I could e-mail you a pdf of the relevant page from the workshop manual, its pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mine's a 2002, but assuming they are the same;

Remove the self tapper type philips head screws from the bumper edges within the wheelarches.
Remove the allen head bolts from the bumper, just beneath the headlamps. I think it's a 10mm allen key.
Pull the bumper forwards and off the car, taking care not to stretch the wiring harness for the fogs and indicators.

Also, I would put a piece of carpet under the bumper before you remove it. To give it a soft landing!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Oh yes, remove the screws from the plastic inner wing panels as well! Also best to have a helper when removing or refitting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
job done thanks for the help lads
took of the 4 nut`s of each side from the engine bracket and all the one`s you said to undo
the 10mm was not having a bar of it, wd40'd the 10mm and it still wouldnt have it even with a breaker bar, on solid, so went down the route of taking off the 2 back brackets, disconnected all the wiring to make sure it didnt get damaged,
thanks again for all help and offers,
does anyone have a pdf manual for this car? if so could you email it, it would be much appreciated,:thumbs:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have manuals (in pdf) covering the GTV with V6 & TS engine.

Unfortunately it’s 4 sections and each is well over 50 odd MB doubt if they’d ever get to you via e-mail. If you don’t have any success elsewhere PM me and I could post you a disk in a week or so

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi,
I'm about to have a go at removing my bumper (supposedly a fine day tomorrow...) and I have read a few threads (inc this one) which say about using a 10mm hex allen socket but isn't the bolt a 16mm (which I am struggling to find a socket hex head for?)?. Is the 10mm for the adjustment (which for most people isn't possible due to the seizing of the adjustment bars??

Sorry if I'm coming across as confused but I just want to get the bumper off and to me a 10mm is way too small for the bolts beneath the headlights!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The bolt holding the bumper on is 10mm Allen key. The adjustment washer is beneath the top edge of the bumper mounting.

·
Registered
919 Posts
No, deffo 10mm internal hex (Allen) bolts on my 99 P2. Just in front of headlights are the cutouts to access the bolts. As said before, they can be a "little tight!".

·
Registered
942 Posts
OK, well perhaps I'm looking at the wrong bolts but the one I can get access to in the bumper cut out is much bigger than 10mm...!! Will look again tomorrow and maybe take a pic if not clear to me!!

How deep down should I be looking? The ones I can see are about two inches down...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unless someone has changed your bolts, you are wrong. I removed the bolt from my Ph1 and checked the size with a vernier caliper. They are about one inch down.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've looked this morning and the 10mm piece I thought was a allen socket head was something else (not sure what they are but you cant put them on the end of a socket wrench (see below as they have a hex attachment...) Could well be that the 10mm on this refers to the attachment size I guess....
View attachment 162490
Anyway, just bought a 10mm Hex / allen socket head off Ebay. Hopefully it will do the trick. The bolts are like this:
View attachment 162491

Once again, without the help of this forum I'd be giving yet another job to someone else when it's perfectly do-able at home! Cheers guys!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The top picture is of 1/4" hex bit to fit in a screwdriver for a 10mm nut. The bolt has a recess the size of a 10mm nut. It is more substantial and the bolts often require a long breaker bar to undo easily.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've looked this morning and the 10mm piece I thought was a allen socket head was something else (not sure what they are but you cant put them on the end of a socket wrench (see below as they have a hex attachment...) Could well be that the 10mm on this refers to the attachment size I guess....
View attachment 162490
Anyway, just bought a 10mm Hex / allen socket head off Ebay. Hopefully it will do the trick. The bolts are like this:
View attachment 162491

Once again, without the help of this forum I'd be giving yet another job to someone else when it's perfectly do-able at home! Cheers guys!
As has been stated, the top pic is the wrong tool; that is a 10mm socket for a screwdriver. You need a 10mm Hex with 3/8" or 1/2" Square Drive (depending on your socket set/breaker bar) like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIGNET-TOOLS-3-8-DRIVE-ALLEN-HEX-KEY-SOCKETS-2-5-12MM-PLEASE-SELECT-SIZE-S-/130785565534?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&var=&hash=item1e736d5b5e or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Franklin-10mm-Impact-Hex-Key-Socket-Allen-Bit-1-2-Dr-/300507587063?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item45f7a5e1f7

If you can afford it get the second one and an impact driver http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Impact-Hand-Driver-Screwdriver-1-2-13-Piece-Metal-Case-11670013-GONEXTDAY-3-99-/310596900377?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4851049619 or a long 1/2" drive breaker bar like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-AK7302-BREAKER-POWER-BAR-1-2-SQ-DR-750MM-/130843720746?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e76e4bc2a.

Gary

I only posted examples of the tools required; these were the first ones I found on eBay, you might want to look for cheaper or better quality tools.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi, I actually purchased from the first one you posted a link for!!
I have a half inch long torque wrench so I'm hoping that will do the job for undoing these bolts...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi, I actually purchased from the first one you posted a link for!!
I have a half inch long torque wrench so I'm hoping that will do the job for undoing these bolts...
I just had a look at that eBay ad again to make sure, what is being sold in that ad is NOT what you've got; if that is what they sent you then you need to ask them to replace it with the correct tools!

Half inch long torque wrench sounds like hard work! :cheese:

Hope you get the bolts out ok.

Gary

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi, Got the bolts out no problem with the 1/2 inch, long torque wrench...! But I still cant get the bumper off. It moves quite a bit but it seems the endges meeting the wheel arch wont pass the plastic wheel arch liner... Is there a knack to this or more screws to undo / should the wheel arch liner have to come out?

I've taken out the two screws from the plastic into the bumper and when I have enough clearance will unplug the electrics...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts