Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I hope this problem isn't too dull to get a response!

The battery on my '99 GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso went flat and has been recharged thanks to the RAC and a jaunt round the M25 to Croydon and back.

The trouble is, my black remote control units will not operate and so I have to open the car manually with the key.

I'm guessing this means the alarm isn't being turned on when I leave the car.

I've searched my manual and the forum but can't find anything to help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Plipping it sets the alarm, so if you lock the car with the key the alarm is not set. The battery charge should last longer (no alarm to support). The immobiliser will be set automatically, however you lock the car.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and for your replies.

My battery went flat due to me leaving on the courtesy light. Never a good idea! There was enough juice to light up the dash warning lights dimly.

Does anyone know if the alarm system has become inoperative due to the battery problem?

The car is behaving as if the batteries in both my electronic "plippers" are flat. I am 99.9% certain that this is not the case.

R

·
0 Posts
Might need the remotes reprogramming, not sure how you would do this but it sounds likely that is your problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
mine does this a lot - but it's not dead.. :)

if you open it with the key and the battery is flat, the alarm isnt clever enough to realise that because one door is open and the other is locked, it just needs to try and lock or unlock both doors.

by this, i mean that if you were to lock the car again, then cycle the alarm with the fob a couple of times, you might be ok.

im sure you'd have noticed the hazards flashing tho so this might not be the case - but if it is, it's a lot cheaper :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just replaced the battery on my 2litre GTV with no problem other than the radio losing its pre-set stations. Alarm, immobiliser and remote key all working normally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gents - thanks so much for the advice and info.

RedBaron - the doc looks really useful so thanks for that - I will give that a go tomorrow when it's light!

AndyP - I can't get the fob to do anything at the moment.

Now I think of it - when I first used the fob after the battery had gone (very nearly) flat, the hazards did give a couple of pathetic dim flashes - but I can't remember if the car opened or not. I may have had to open it with the key.

I guess that the Alarm unit is in denial about it's operational capabilities!

Thanks again for all the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts