Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help with my engine code problem Im having.

Basically, my GTV at some point has had its engine changed, the original was a CF1 type with the alloy rocker cover. The one I currently have has got the plastic rocker cover. But it still has (what I can see) the original inlet manifold and the exhaust, and a few other bits, e.g thermostat, etc.

So, I wanted to double check this, so I went and looked at the V5 and my engine code is - 106***9, 7 digits. I went and looked at the current engine I have, and (correct if wrong) I went and dug around for the engine code stamped on the block, and Im not sure if I got the right one. This code was stamped just above the exhaust manifold, on the far right side of the block if you are stood looking at the engine from the front. And it was also 8 digits long, as apposed to 7 on the V5.

Have I got the right code? And is there much point in changing the V5 to this current one?

Also, I am considering looking for a CF1 engine, rebuilding it, and putting that one in as it seems more original to me. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
If you just want it to look original you could just change the later plastic cam cover for the earlier Aluminium one.
I'm sure a couple of other bits need changing to do it, but still a lot easier than swapping the whole engine, especially if there is nothing wrong with your existing engine!

As for the v5, no there is no point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alexzver - Are you saying that the Alloy rocker cover does not have variable inlet? Correct me if Im wrong, but, by that you mean the inlet valve timing?

I like David's idea, but I think this engine is going to need a rebuild or a replacement as I had to take the balance belt off due to the balance shafts not even turning! Think the shells are completely shot!

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Alexzver - Are you saying that the Alloy rocker cover does not have variable inlet? Correct me if Im wrong, but, by that you mean the inlet valve timing?
No, he means the alloy cover 2.0TS 150hp CF1 engine didn't have a variable length intake manifold.
The plastic variable length intake manifold came along with the plastic top 155hp CF2 engine.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The CF1 alloy TS has an alloy intake manifold that isn't variable (150 hp AR 16201). The plastic TS engine has a plastic valve cover, rocker cover and inlet manifold which is also variable (155hp, 150hp, AR32301).

The valve timing has nothing to do with the variable length intake manifold. It's combined with the variator (not a feature in all TS engines)

Alloy TS engine with no variable intake manifold: http://www.shrani.si/f/26/Px/1x6A0Gor/za-spreminjat.jpg
Plastic TS engine with variable intake manifold: http://www.shrani.si/f/2N/EE/4gOSobzp/800px-arts16l001.jpg

All GTV/Spider TS engines have a variator for valve timing, the 1.8 TS and the 2.0 TS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts