Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 GTV has been electrically sound until this weekend when the electrical systems have developed a fault. When either door is opened the main interior courtesy light comes on as normal, but both foot well light remain off. When the doors are closed the courtesy light remains partially illuminated (just glowing) and both foot well lights come on and stay on, so totally out of phase with each other. In addition the radio, the brake lights and horn are also not functional. Any help to diagnose/trace the fault gratefully received please!

I'm showing my ignorance now, but can anyone tell me if the relays located next to the fuses in the fuse panel control the function or if there separate ECUs elsewhere which do this, eg what controls the function of the interior lighting system?

·
Registered
691 Posts
In the past, whenever any of my Alfas have misbehaved along these lines, it has nearly always been down to a bad earth connection. I would start off by cleaning and tightening every earth connection that you can find. In fact, I would bet money that the problem is an earthing one. If you do a search, you should find a link on here to the pdf workshop manual which will point you in the direction of the main earthing locations. I know how frustrating these problems can be and hope that you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'd agree with Junior. The disco effect lights sounds like an earthing problem. I'd check a wiring diagram to see if all of the systems mentioned share a common earth. There used to be some links on here to free downloadable repair manuals if you haven't already got one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the advice. The consensus is an earthing problem so I'll start searching for some wiring diagrams and check the earth connections first. Why do these problems always arise when the weather is so foul and my garage is full of junk?

·
Registered
767 Posts
In addition the radio, the brake lights and horn are also not functional.
Definately the 20A fuse in the fusebox. Had the same issue about a week ago. Just replace the fuse and that's it.

Try first of all to tighten the connections on the battery and spray some WD-40 on them - sometimes water accumulates on the battery and gets into the connections and this causes all sorts of problems that are earth related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alexzver - thanks for the advice. The battery terminals are fine and no sign of any water. As soon as I replaced the fuse it blew again, so there is definitely a wiring problem. Do you have any idea where the earth for this circuit is located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, its still the original radio. The problem occurred whilst we were away for the weekend, so its not as a result of anything which has been done recently, the electrics are very much original with no modifications. The only thing that I know is broken is the aerial. This froze last year and it no longer retracts. The motor runs but the linkage is broken so nothing happens. That apart all was working fine until the gremlins appeared.

·
Registered
767 Posts
OK, then lets move on. The 20A fuse is used also for the horn, cig lighter, stop lights, radio and interior lights (not for puddle lights). If the fuse blew as soon as you replaced it try this: disconnect every el. thing covered by the fuse (int. lights, lighter, horn - engine bay, radio, stop light - brake pedal) and then replace the fuse and connect one by one to see which one has a short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All sorted. The problem turned out to be a trapped wire in the centre console which was shorting and also causing the interior lighting problems.

Can I have your thoughts on another problem please - this time it's suspension. I have a clonk from the nearside rear, it has been slowly getting worse over the past two years and is audible on directional change, usually only at low speeds and especially when pulling away, under hard acceleration or braking. I had all the rear bushes replaced with polyurethane ones about four years ago and the rear suspension has twice been check by Alan at Benalfa without finding the problem (though this was when the noise was less pronounced). Any ideas?

A

·
0 Posts
I would guess that is either the upper wishbone ball joint or the ARB drob link.
My wishbone balll joint needs changing and that makes a clunking noise over pot holes etc..

Rear bushes could also be screwed I guess

·
Registered
28 Posts
lighter, radio, horn & petrol gauge light not working

guys, I've replaced the fuse and it doesn't blow which means there isn't a short, right? but the lighter, radio, horn & petrol gauge light are still not working. possibly related is every time I turn on my car the wipers go on for one swipe and then not again.

what must i do??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts