Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts/fix for this.
Started with the Passenger window wouldn't go down a week or two ago but then came good. Then when driving the other day noticed there was a fair bit of wind noise from the Pass side. Stopped looked and noticed window not flush with body. Opened door and noticed window didn't drop slightly as they do and window wouldn't lower with switch. Had to close door forcing window to fit flush.
Now, within days drivers side is the same.
Also noticed a sort of clunking noise coming from passenger door, sounds like the winder mechanism is being energised and released.
Can't give anymore info regarding this noise as went out today and battery flat, overnight.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me, I think it's caused by the auto up/down cam/microswitch slipping out of position and not sending the correct signal to the control unit. The bad news is if it's been left clicking on and off, it could well have burnt out the motor already. When I had this problem, removing the door speaker and feeling the body of the motor revealed that it was extremely hot - I cut the power to it as a safety measure. If the motor's burnt out, you'll have to replace the whole window regulator (~£140 + fitting).

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
i have had this problem with both driver and passenger side ,and after a huge amount of time dismantling the ratchett mechanism /cleaning out /reassembling and then noticing that the plastic cogs had worn/broken had to buy two new regulators .

alfa romeo was €270 for the first one and the second one cost me £100(sterling) from ebay uk

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
jonno, the motor getting hot is probably the sign its under heavy load or even stalling. It should not actually burnout as there will be internal protection (thermal breakers) to protect the windings. These will normally protect the motors under stall conditions for up to 24 hours without damage. The motor will get hot but the windings can withstand temperatures upto 140-160 degrees C the protection should be set to about 80-100.

It's important to see what's out of adjustment or worn as early as possible when you first notice a problem. Unfortunately replacing just the mechanism is less of an option with manufacturers in recent years and it's likely only the complete mechanism including motor is serviced.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh, mine's all sorted now - changed the regulator myself, took the motor of the old one apart and it smelled very bad & wouldn't turn at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an update,
Although the battery is near enough to flat, I notice a regular clicking noise coming from under the dash. Now I did read on another post about somethings like that.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those are the relays in the control unit (behind the passenger airbag). It's stuck in a loop, there are a few ways to stop the clicking - disconnecting the battery for a while is probably the easiest. When you re-connect it, don't try operating the window or it'll do it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I am getting a horrible grinding wrench of a noise just before the passenger window closes. In fact, it does not close fully which is a bit of a worry during the British Summertime ....

Anyone any ideas? It goes down so far, then makes a similar noise, then continues to go down fully. I am taking the Spider in for servicing soon, but would welcome any thoughts or comments.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same happen to my spider windows only it started with the drivers door window not dropping to allow the door to open without catching the hood. Then the passenger door did the same, finally the drivers side window motor was operating as you have described. I did have a new sender unit fitted at @ £150, however having not used my car for a while due to a knee operation (no driving for 3 months)!!!!!!! The same problem has reared it's ugly head again when i started the car to keep it turned over. NOT IMPRESSED as you can imagine :( Please let me know how you go with the fix as I my need to challenge the garage that sold me the sender unit.

Cheers:..Jaws mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jaws,

I will let you know. I'm getting booked into McLennan's garage in Edinburgh over the next few weeks for a full service & MOT (gulp !).

thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers Peter,
Look fwd to hearing from you, hope all goes well with the service and MOT.........:thumbs:

Jaws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my Spider. Removing the fuses stopped the clicking, prevented the battery going flat and seemed to reset everything but clicking started if you operated the window switch again. Problem with windows is now solved but unfortunately method is only of use to Spider owners. As the weather got better I lowered the roof. As I pressed the button both windows lowered a third as they should and the windows have been working ever since. That's alfa world for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts