Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, With the freezing temperatures my GTV is a nightmare to get in to. I took the advice of someone at work and put a light coat of vaseline around the door seals but the doors are still frozen solid.

The central locking seems to work and you can push the door button in but the door is like i said solid. I have used a lock de icer but nowt works..I read on another thread about using a silicone lube but where do you spray it? in the lock where the key goes or at the side of the door? Is it just the lock part that freezes or is it the hinges or rubber seals? or all 3?

Also is the silicone lube normal WD40 or if not what?

cheers people

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
Howdy, With the freezing temperatures my GTV is a nightmare to get in to. I took the advice of someone at work and put a light coat of vaseline around the door seals but the doors are still frozen solid.

The central locking seems to work and you can push the door button in but the door is like i said solid. I have used a lock de icer but nowt works..I read on another thread about using a silicone lube but where do you spray it? in the lock where the key goes or at the side of the door? Is it just the lock part that freezes or is it the hinges or rubber seals? or all 3?

Also is the silicone lube normal WD40 or if not what?

cheers people
Sounds like it's just the glass stuck to the seal, a reasonable tug should open it. Might be wise to go around the edges of the door and glass first with some Deicer.

For protection spray in and around the locks regularly with WD 40, as the name implies this is a water dispersant so if there is no water in there it can't freeze. Spray inside where the key goes and around where the button goes in to the holder.

Vaseline is not the best thing to use on the seals, a silicone based grease is best. The stuff I used is designed as a household lubricant, especially for use on Curtain Tracks. This being the case it doesn't leave grease marks everywhere and works a treat on the car. Not only does it keep everything lubricated so that the window does not squeak when you operate it but it also helps with this frozen door malarkey.

You'll never achieve 100% never locked out protection but doing this will get you a loooong way toward it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Silicon spray is better than WD 40 you can buy it anywhere. Vaseline rots the rubber.

·
16,380 Posts
Silicon spray is better than WD 40 you can buy it anywhere. Vaseline rots the rubber.
Spot on about the Vaseline apparently.

Used both WD 40 and the Silicon Grease in the locks, can't really decide which, if either, is better than the other. Suppose you could argue that in really cold weather any clumps of Silicon Grease could freeze into solid lumps and cause problems but I really don't know about this.

Just happy I have found a way that works - most of the time ! :)

·
16,380 Posts
I got myself some silicon lube yesterday from Halfords £4.99, they do their own make for a quid less. Wash n lube tomorrow for my bella :cool:
:eek: In this weather ? :confused:

I'm about to go out and remove the days accumulation of snow from the GTV's, would be impossible to wash afterwards as there will be a skin of ice left. ( You could read this as a perfect excuse for Nige to not wash his cars........ )

Or is it Summer down South in Peterborough ??? :wow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the answers, will get myself to halfords hopefully 2moro. Just need a mild day then to prime the car!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I find that if you just press the windows all around the door seals it will usually break the ice seal enough to open the door carefully, then you dont end up with dirty window tops !
WD40 for the locks tho.
Steve

·
Registered
629 Posts
It's most probably the glass/window seals that are the problem but are you sure that the door lock button could be pushed fully in/down? I experienced this the other day, it seems that the button/door lock was not moving fully via the button, opening the door from the lever inside was fine (after entry from passenger side).

It was still playing up hours later, I used a fair amount of WD40 around the lock/latch area and down the button/key hole, several slams of the door eventually got it working normally.

·
16,380 Posts
I find that if you just press the windows all around the door seals it will usually break the ice seal enough to open the door carefully,
Steve
:thumbs: A good idea indeed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep a small squirty spray bottle in the house. It's actually an empty Mr. Muscle trigger spray bottle. When the doors get stuck in the cold weather, i fill it up with hot water. Then i spray just around the edges of the window and edge of door. Works everytime.
Please note that very hot water on cold glass can crack it :eek: The spray bottle minimizes glass contact and so it's not a problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Vaseline doesn't work at all for me...but I was told it has a pretty high water content!!!! which won't help. Somebody suggested a smear of washing up liquid round the seals.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
s simple coat of silicon spray around all the seals and plenty around the latch and into the locks and you're laughing :thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Had the opposite today!! finally after i had got in - my door wouldnt stay shut.
The latch had frozen and wouldnt catch the door! When is it summer.......??

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can't go wrong with silicone spray.
Flood the locks (inside the key hole too), press them in and out a few times.
Then put some on a cloth and wipe the door rubber seals and up where the glass goes.
Do this everynight and you're laughing.
Since I've been doing that they've never frozen, but you have to do it regularly.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Halfords silicon spray all the way..
WD 40 not as good.. vaseline crap.. and it will rot the rubber.
Dont spray warm water in there.. it will stay wet and freeze the next night.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ive found warm water is best,it will freeze the water you spray in overnight but then thaw it out when you respray!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ive found warm water is best,it will freeze the water you spray in overnight but then thaw it out when you respray!!
Which is great until you find yourself parked up in a place with no hot water and a lock full of ice!!!

Give them a shot of silicone when you lock the car.

silicon freezes at -40c

P

·
0 Posts
I carry a small flask of hot water with me! (Don't lock it in the car though!!!)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts