Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My passenger door won't open from the inside, much to my embarrassment (yesterday my mum described my car as 'a bit rapey').

I've got the panels off, and have just replaced the bowden cable as the old one was frayed and in general poor condition. The new bowden seems to have fitted into the right place nicely, and when pull it I can see the vertical lever inside the door (by the lock) moving, but it still doesn't open the door.

On the drivers side door, when I open it using the inner handle I can hear a spring sound, but not on the passenger side. Maybe something has come off? It's really hard to see what the vertical lever is attached to at the top.

Any suggestions on what to try next? If I can't fix it myself it looks like I'll need to find a garage in Bristol and book it in, my mum is growing suspicious.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Hi all

(yesterday my mum described my car as 'a bit rapey'). :eek:

my mum is growing suspicious. :lol:

Cheers

Chris
I assume that the passenger's side handle now offers some resistance (possibly the wrong choice word given the above :lol:), or does it flap loosely?

Welcome to Alfaowner by the way :thumbs:

Tell us more about your car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in a 2001 TS GTV (2.0) bought in the summer, 70k on the clock.

Regarding the door, I haven't actually put the door panel back on yet, I've just been pulling the cable, but there is resistance and it's causing the lever on the inside to move, so seems to be functioning. Is there any benefit to putting the panel back on and trying it?

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
You are welcome, AO is a friendly bunch of bods, there are regular meets etc. (have a look in the regional lounges).

I'm not an expert on this but if the door doesn't open as it is now, then I can't see how putting the door card back on would help, so think that you need to sort it out before you put it all back together. If I'm wrong though, someone else will be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I don't think you should give up yet :) Hook it up to the handle to test it - you'd be surprised how much more force the handle allows you to exert, rather than just pulling on the cable.

Also 'cycle' the latch mechanism a few times. Use a fat screwdriver or a ballpoint pen etc. to simulate closing the door latch (note it has two levels of closed-ness), then use the outside button to open, try locking and unlocking, etc. Perhaps something is just caught up in a partly-locked state.

A bit ropey, your Mum says? Don't be discouraged, I'm sure you'll have it pretty mint soon. I find half the satisfaction with getting one of these cars is curing all the little niggly faults ignored by previous owners... and not everything costs money to fix either :) Maybe you should ask your Mum about her first car... :lol:

-Alex

·
Registered
798 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you don't break that little plastic bit that holds the cable into the door at the lock end. I broke mine and had a lot of problems with it. A couple of millimetres makes all the difference. I ended up slotting an electrical sleeve over the top of the cable and it mostly works, actually, only if you make sure you close the door properly. Take it just to one click and it won't work... same with passengers side but I haven't fiddled with the passenger side at all other than move the door striker so the panels line up properly again..

Like for example, if I were to take it apart again and shove heaps of sticky tape over it I'm sure I'd be able to make it work. And create one of those fantastic previous-owner-bodge-fixes we all see so often on cars :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts