Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed. I lock my doors with the fob on the key but they pop open Again. I can use the key manually no problem. any ideas, I think that I have tried most things:xmas:

·
Registered
515 Posts
One door isn't properly closed or at least the central locking unit thinks so.
Might be a sensor switch that needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It sounds to me to be the Bowden cable that needs adjusting,time to get the door card of to have a look,another possibility would be the spring on the handle to open the door has broken and as you lock the door the handle sits out about 1/2 an inch and stops the central locking from working.do a search for bouncing locks.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,411 Posts
+1 for Bowden cable fault, common issue on these
Normally I would agree with this but as the OP says that the locks work fine when manually using the key so perhaps not the Bowden Cable in this case.

Maybe something more along the lines that redtop_68 suggested.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
First check is whether the central locking works when you use the key in the passenger door.

If not, then it suggests a broken wire or faulty actuator switch in the driver's door, as the locking unit will 'see' the unlocked driver's door as a signal to unlock the passenger's door again.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
My car can be a bit temperamental on the drivers side, the locking mechanism can be a bit stiff and is just enough resistance to stop the motor unlocking but works fine via the key where my hand can apply a small amount more force.

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
111 Posts
Door lock bouncing

This can also happen if the door locks get out of "sync" with each other because of being not shut properly at some point or icing up. There is a procedure on the forum for resetting as I had this problem last winter.
My car lives outdoors all the time, so can freeze up !
Still at 165k miles you gotta expect that some things need abit of "help" now and again.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Occasionally this happens to me. I received helpful info re bowden cables, but didn't think it warranted a strip down. I then discovered that occasionally, somehow they "got out of sync", and when this happens, I go to the passenger side, press the door button down, shut the door and then lock with the fob and both lock together....Works every time...how odd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts