Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GTV Cup - Daily driver?

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  phil66 
#1 ·
Hi all, bit of a random one this. I bought my Cup at the start of December and I have loved every minute of it, but at the back of my head there’s part of me thinking I shouldn't be using it as a daily driver.

I did buy the car because of its more exclusive nature over the normal GTV and in the vain hope that it may appreciate over time, or at least retain more value than the equivalent GTV...obviously I'm not expecting the values to sky rocket and it be worth £100,000 in a few years, but some return wouldn't be all that bad.

So I am now thinking of sticking the car in the garage and buying another cheap (1k ish) car and keep the Cup simply for dry summer use.

Am I being overly optimistic with this or is this a logical idea?

Another reason for this thinking is I'm starting racing again this year, and ideally need a tow car to pull a trailer, and a GTV isn't exactly ideal.

I'll be honest, I have no idea if what I've just asked even makes sense :eek: I hope it does anyway and someone will be able to answer my ramblings!

John

See less See more
#2 ·
A balance I think...

You should defnitely look after it, keep it mint, keep it clean. But I'd say drive it, you didn't buy it to sit in the garage and whilst it should hold its value better than a normal GTV, I think the chances of any real appreciation in the near future is pretty limited.

I bought mine with a tiny 36k on the clock last year and am a little supprised I have put 10k on that! But having fun in the car is kinda the point...

#3 ·
I use my cup every day. I get what your saying about it being a car to save for sunny dry days. They are special cars. However my experience of alfa's is that they need to be driven daily and they benefit from it.When i got my cup it had hardly done 1k in a year or so and had been lovingly stored in a dehumidified garage and only driven on good days.(she really had been looked after)within 2 weeks of my ownership i had to replace the diff,mass airflow sensor,clutch slave cylinder and thermostat.all on a car that was near concours.I have since put near 5k on her with no problems at all.there is no logical reason to me why these cars seem to do better when used.maybe they sulk?dont garage your cup, it deserves to be driven.:)

#5 ·
Oh the car would get driven, don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of bubble wrapping cars, I whole heartedly agree they should be driven. Just my thinking is not to drive it as much.

The appreciation thing, might be a far fetched idea, granted, but with numbers dwindling of them I don't want to rack the mileage upto a point where it becomes impossible to shift, or make it worthless.

T'is a very good point about ensuring they are used....if ever I needed an excuse to go for a drive, I now have one! :)

#6 ·
its easy to get obsessed with keeping the car mint. But at the end of the day you only live once. Get every bit of enjoyment you can out of it. Drive it hard, drive it often, drive it in the wet, or in the sunshine. Drive it.

I used mine almost as a daily driver. They do turn heads I found. they are different and unique.

I think in 10 years time the cups will be worth 10-20K (when theres like 30-50 of them left)

G
#10 ·
ps how much boot space do they have ?
Enough to stow your pencil with a bit left over. :thumbs:

Actually they are very good daily drivers. They are generally well built and reliable with the few weak spots (mostly suspension) giving plenty of warning. The small cabin space means they warm up very quickly and defrost efficiently. The climate control works well. They are good for short, medium and long journeys, except for low mpg. Still they are at least 1k cheaper than an equivalent standard 147 - which would buy you quite a lot petrol.

#9 ·
Cups brought now will not appreciate in value. 75 LE's didn't, 164 Cloverleafs didn't and Cups wont. They will, as said, hold their value better but thats it. And thats good I say, 'cos they should be driven. As much as possible!!

#12 ·
They are for driving .................. that's why they were made............... not for squirelling away in a garage and worrying about a stone chip or two.

...........Just ask yourself ................. "When did I enjoy my drive to work more ??????"

Cheers to All
Peter

#13 ·
Agree a car is for driving not locking in the garage to become an ornament. Unless the car is used regularly it will deteriorate and cost more money.

In terms of values I think the Cup a way to drop before they bottom out, and you're unlikely to make any profit worth talking about for a long time if ever. In 10 years time it might still be worth what it is now, off course with oil running out you may find the another fuel or electricity is taking over and nobody will be interested in a oil based car.

If you want a GTV Cup, buy it, drive it, maintain it well and most of all enjoy the car.

#14 ·
well get a second car.....if its your only car ge another one....smaller one more effictient,that you can use to carry something or on very bad weather....even if that car is driven twice a week at bad days or places or jobs it will save the lovely cup....dont try to avoid driving it....but you will sometimes and that will be enough....."you olny live once" as Mr gtv cup No.99 said!:p

G
#15 ·
I used Cup 120 as a daily driver between Liverpool and Leeds for almost a year she had over 80k on the clock when we parted company but she was well maintained loved and driven hard most of the time :)

I just couldn't afford the fuel bills to have her as a motorway mile cruncher so I bought a Fiat Grande Punto and she stayed on the drive through the week and only got driven on week ends :)

That was fine till I couldn't afford to insure, service and fuel two cars :(

I traded the Cup and the Punto for the GT and had the GT mapped but I'll tell you what I'd have her back in a heartbeat if I only had a daily 20 mile commute :D

So the short answer is if your daily commute is low keep the Cup as a daily driver and enjoy the fun at the weekends ;)

#20 ·
have a cheapish second car ?! Would never do that again after driving all sorts of nice cars I drove a cheap Hyundai for a few years just for a change and to save money but I will never go back to that ever again. They way people look down on you with a Hyundai is beneath Contempt !! even though its a perfectly fine car for what it is.

I think my ideal would be to drive the Alfa on special occasions and drive a nice and comfortable BMW or Mercedes for errands and stuff for a second car.

#21 ·
I use mine everyday on my motorway journey to work, i have thought about buying another car to save money on fuel but that means i have to buy a second car and insure and tax it which would cost me a lot more than the extra fuel bill im getting.

I suppose if you look after them and maintain them well and a few coats of light underbody wax to keep the grit/salt getting to it, it can serve you very well. Ive used mine everyday since i got it, ive run the mileage up to 103k now and still drives like new but then again i have spent lots of money on it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.