Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a light clonking on my car when turing the steering and whilst accelerating and braking.

I already have a pair of wishbones ready to fit, but I actually think the noise is coming from the driver side coilbearing inside the top of the strut. It is sticking slightly as the steering is turned causing a creak from the spring.

Has anyone else replaced theirs and if so where did you get them from?

The actual top plate and rubbers look ok, it is just the plastic bearing I am looking at buying.

Cheers. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
As far as I know only from the AR main stealer, it is a complete unit that is attached onto
the top of the shock absorber/spring assembly with a nut and then bolted into the chassis.

:)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mate.

I am not 100% sure that is where the problem is, but I will find out when I take it apart.

Something is going on around the suspension to cause odd noises that's a fact...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Cheers Mate.

I am not 100% sure that is where the problem is, but I will find out when I take it apart.

Something is going on around the suspension to cause odd noises that's a fact...
From what you describe it is pointing towards the top strut bearing.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did have a coilbearing go on my Fiat coupe and it gave a similar symptom. However the ones on that were a different design.

When I bought the car there was a clonk when accelerating and braking, but it went away after a couple of days so I didn't investigate further. Now it has come back along with the creaking in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When I bought the car there was a clonk when accelerating and braking, but it went away after a couple of days so I didn't investigate further. Now it has come back along with the creaking in a straight line.
About the clonk when accelerating and braking have you checked the engine / gearbox mountings ?,
it's not certain that the creaking is associated with/have somthing to do with the clonk.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did check the engine mountings. The original clonk appered to be coming from under my feet when driving.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty sure it isn't the exhaust.

I was thinking the wishbones as well and I have a new set to go on, however if you turn the steering with the car stationary you get a creak which sounds like it is coming from the top of the strut and not the balljoint at the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts