Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I had a cam belt failure before Christmas and have been pondering whether or not to have the engine re-built :eek: But I think the time has come and I will have the work done, which will also mean new brakes disks and suspension. I am looking to put the car into Perfect Service in Newton Abbot.

The question is:
Has anyone had any dealings with them? Am I in safe hands??

:)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Ask them if they intend to change the big end bearings. If not, that's not a good indication.

Is Autolusso Bournemouth too far away?

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,623 Posts
Spanner in the works: It might well be cheaper and quicker to swap the broken engine for a new one, rather than repairing and rebuilding the original

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
For a cam belt? Don't be daft.

2nd hand heads average about £50, set of shells £50 Gasket set £60.

All other costs are what you have to fork out what ever route you take (oil, coolant, cam belt kit, balance belt kit)

On top of that, a new head change requires a lot less work as oppose an engine swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have been in touch with Autolusso and now have two choices, engine re build or fit a recon engine.

"Spanner in the works: It might well be cheaper and quicker to swap the broken engine for a new one, rather than repairing and rebuilding the original".....

No doubt it will take me another 3 months to decide which way to go!! will keep you posted....recon..no rebuild..no Recon...no rebuild..aaaaaargh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well not 3 months to decide just 3 days! All booked into Autolusso at Houghton Regis :) Thanks all for your advice and help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts