Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor alfa v6 is now looking all sad for itself in a lock up garage after the tensioners gave up and my cam belt decided to do whatever it liked!:cry:
I decided not to take a snap decision and sell it,and now after 3 months of not driving her (i just sorted the maf and she was flying) im missing that v6 like crazy!
So the question i have is do i rebuild,with the 'better the devil you know' attitude to it,or get a different engine. The original only had 54000 on the clock. If i get a different engine,can anyone suggest anyone to supply and carry out the work?
I live down in somerset,and in the past used Autoitaliana,but i believe he has stopped working due to back problems.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Matt.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Oh no, gutted for you!
Autolusso are well respected on here, they have a branch in Bournemouth.

Failing that, have a look in the regional (south central / south west) lounges, there should be a recommendation or two for you there.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Also, I'd be surprised if you could find an engine with 54,000 or fewer miles, for a lower amount than the cost of getting your engine rebuilt to a good standard.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My poor alfa v6 is now looking all sad for itself in a lock up garage after the tensioners gave up and my cam belt decided to do whatever it liked!:cry:
I decided not to take a snap decision and sell it,and now after 3 months of not driving her (i just sorted the maf and she was flying) im missing that v6 like crazy!
So the question i have is do i rebuild,with the 'better the devil you know' attitude to it,or get a different engine. The original only had 54000 on the clock. If i get a different engine,can anyone suggest anyone to supply and carry out the work?
I live down in somerset,and in the past used Autoitaliana,but i believe he has stopped working due to back problems.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Matt.
As mentioned above, I'd recommend Autolusso if you get a rebuild or a different reconditioned engine.

How many years old was the cambelt?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think the belt was around 5 years old,but was going on milage really. It was done along with tensioners by veloces on 39000,so 15000 miles ago. Thought i would get a few more miles than that out of it!! Thanks for your advice,i will look into it. Cant drive the other halfs boring vw bora for too much longer. It has all the soul of a scrap fridge!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Feel for you mate.
Did veloces change the pullies and tensioner? If not :tut: Why not get a cheap replacement whilst you carefully blueprint the top end of your original engine? Thne swap back and sell the spare engine on?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Think the belt was around 5 years old,but was going on milage really. It was done along with tensioners by veloces on 39000,so 15000 miles ago. Thought i would get a few more miles than that out of it!! Thanks for your advice,i will look into it. Cant drive the other halfs boring vw bora for too much longer. It has all the soul of a scrap fridge!!
time passed is just as critical as mileage on these belts as you have unfortunately found out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If it helps and I feel for you here but it totally depends on damage wether its worth getting a new engine or not. Not sure what the Alfa is like for changing valves but I had this happen to one of my old Rover Coupe's once, a week after buying her and it bent 12 of 16 valves and cost £800 to repair :(. Best of luck with what you decide to do but think with your wallet and not your heart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice. Its easy to get carried away. If its too much of a wallet bender then i shall sell her for whatever i can get. Autolusso have emailed me back so im gonna give them a ring to find out some prices. But they suggested the recon engine option,rather than rebuild.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Can you do it yourself?
The tension probably wasn’t set perfectly and it most probably started emitting a ticking noise at startup a while before the failure.

Remove the heads and have them reconditioned the rest of the motor should be fine unless the belt came of at high rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts