Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ve just bought a 2005 gtv phase 3 ,and the boot release keeps opening the boot in the middle of the night and sets off the alarm!

is this one of the normal gtv probs or have i found a new one! lol

any suggestions apart from disconnecting the swith( which i don t use cause some bright spark decided to put it in the glove box!!)

:lol:
sparty

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
Initially I'd disconnect the switch to see if that cures the problem. If it does prove to be the switch you then have at least three options :-

1. Replace existing switch.
2. Put a switch on the console near the handbrake. ( Very easy. )
3. As #2 but also modify the relay wiring so that the boot can be opened with the engine running. ( Not so easy. )

If disconnecting the switch does not cure the problem maybe you have a wiring or relay problem, can't really help much on this, only suggestion would be to do standard electrical checks until you find the cause.

There are some Threads on here about modifying the switch location, if I can find them I'll put the links up.

·
16,368 Posts

·
16,368 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
OMG! My GTV Does exactly the same. :eek: Alarm goes off around 3 or 4 am in the morning but never in the day???.
Did you manage to get it resolved at a non expensive rate?
I manually lock car at the moment without the alarm on. It doesn't do it then, boot stays locked! most Bizarre!
Any Help Appreciated! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My GTV has decided to open the boot all by itself in the middle of the night, setting off the alarm. It doesn't do it all the time, which is weird & why it does it in the early hours of the morning waking the neighbourhood & not in the day, I just don't know??? Its very annoying. I am having to lock it manually without setting off the alarm but then next morning I forget I have locked it manually & use the remote to unlock but have actually set the alarm after manually locking it. Then I can't unlock the car or disable the alarm with the remote & have to wait around 20 mins, then it lets me open the car remotely as normal. I just don't get it?
Why the boots opens itself
& why I have to wait 20 mins to unlock car, after manually locking car & setting alarm remotely :rant:
If anyone can help with this before I go mad it would be greatly appreciated.
Alfa Garage near me are rip off merchants!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The boot release has its own relay. Just unplug it and use the key to open the boot until you can get it fixed. IIRC the relay is in the boot area, if someone keeps pushing the boot release button while you have your head in the boot you will find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Mitch - I'll give that ago. I have also turned the lock with the key all the way around anti clockwise & shut the boot. Alarm has not yet gone off! :) but I will be opening boot with key for now!
Thank you!:cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you sure the relay is in the boot? all i can hear is the lock mech defening me when i put my head in the boot lol

i will just disconect the swith if i can find it.

and more clues as to where the relay is? ;)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
according to the manual it is in the boot area. i would hazard a guess that it is in the bootlid itself, but then i have been known to be wrong on the odd occasion. good thread resurrection by the way :thumbs:

edit - nuts! i have just noticed that you have a phase 3. wouldn't have thought it would change that much though?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ill have a look . it will be in the same place as a phase 1 and 2 i would think. think they only changed the bonnet, grill and some suspension bits on a p3.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Spider does this, and it's true that it's always in the dead of night.
I took the switch apart in the glove box, it's not the most well build part I've seen!
I disconnected the servo in the boot lid, as if you pull the wires from the switch you lose the glove box light as well.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't know if it is a sheer coincidence but my cars boot was popping itself open too, i checked the relay and everything else in the boot but it till did it, then i checked in the glove box which has my hand books and cd's etc and is packed solid so i took the handbook out and a few other bits too and since then the boot has stayed locked so the moral to my story is check that your glovebox does not have too much in it causing something to touch the switch !!!:lol:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
the moral to my story is check that your glovebox does not have too much in it causing something to touch the switch !!!:lol:
:lol: Nice one! Cheap fix! :lol:

·
Registered
857 Posts
The relay for the boot release solenoid is located behind the carpet in the top left of the boot (ie opposite side to the battery). Most common cause is the release switch in the glovebox. Sometimes the actual solenoid starts to stick, preventing the catch from closing properly (located inside boot lid, next to catch).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right , ive don e it now! lol i pulled down the boot carpet saw the switch motor. so i cut the two wires in the lock area, and the boot release still works! lol..................more worryingly this must also mean that i have stopped something else working but i don t know what, although the lock feels funny now when i put the key in it . What have i done?????

and how do i just stop the boot release from working???

help please!! lol

;)

sparty 0_0

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hmmm... what have you done?!
To stop the remote boot release, either disconnect the switch in the glovebox, remove the relay, or disconnect the solenoid.
I think the wires you have cut may be the remote "cut-out" switch: If you rotate the key fully anti-clockwise (I think), this should disable the remote release. Does the button in the glovebox still work?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes the switch and the boot release still work. the only thing i can see is different is that the boot lock rotates more and does nt seem to stop. still opens on the key though. the lock must have and electrical circuit. I can reconnect the wires , thats not a problem. It s just that these wire s seem to be the wires connected to the solonoid in the boot. cant see any other ones. I think removing the relay is the answer. Do you knoe where it is exactly???

many thanks

martyn

·
16,368 Posts
yes the switch and the boot release still work. the only thing i can see is different is that the boot lock rotates more and does nt seem to stop. still opens on the key though. the lock must have and electrical circuit. I can reconnect the wires , thats not a problem. It s just that these wire s seem to be the wires connected to the solonoid in the boot. cant see any other ones. I think removing the relay is the answer. Do you knoe where it is exactly???

many thanks

martyn
The lock that the key goes in is not electrical in any way, purely mechanical and it sounds like it's non too healthy. This would not affect the remote boot release at all.

I suspect, but not sure, that you may have cut the wires to the Fuel Filler Flap, does this still work ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts