Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
The shut line on my 2003 gtv around the bonnet+bumper(at the front corners) seems out.It shuts properly but the gap is irritating me:cry: I asked at a dealer and they said its normal:confused: It wouldnt be those two rubber stops that maybe need adjusting?
Anybody else suffer this bugbear and is there a remedy. The bumper doesnt appear to have dropped!Cheers for any help:) :)

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
i think i have the same problem, the shut lines on either flank between bumper and bonnet are a bit gappy. i think its my bumper that is hanging low though, not the bonnet and apparently its something to do with the bumper fixing brackets on the side that are broken or breaking.

thats if its the problem that you are on about

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yep, same problem and typical GTV flaw. The bumper supports get knackered over the years and you end up with your sagging bumper. I know that the blame is often put on rust but cars don't get rusty over my kneck of the woods so I'm curious as to what I might find on mine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh rust sounds odd! My Bellas only 5 years old no signs of rust.The bumper really doesnt look as though its dropped,I might try a body repairer for some thoughts on this!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The bumpers do tend to sag with time. Wouldn't have to be much to make the gap look wrong.

There is adjustment on the mounts on each side. Open the bonnet and in front of each headlight you'll see an indent in the back edge of the bumper. Look down into it and you can see the top of a (large) Allen bolt in the bumper mounting which allows vertical adjustment of the bumper. Not sure if anything else needs slackening/adjusting at the same time.

Unfortunately on mine the bolts seem to be seized, of course ...

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
The bumpers do tend to sag with time. Wouldn't have to be much to make the gap look wrong.

There is adjustment on the mounts on each side. Open the bonnet and in front of each headlight you'll see an indent in the back edge of the bumper. Look down into it and you can see the top of a (large) Allen bolt in the bumper mounting which allows vertical adjustment of the bumper. Not sure if anything else needs slackening/adjusting at the same time.

Unfortunately on mine the bolts seem to be seized, of course ...
Yes it just needs to be adjusted and re-setup...its no big drama.

Chris

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These sound promising!
I just hope the bolts have seized otherwise I will be gutted:rant:

W

·
0 Posts
You just need a good (10mm iirc) Allen key, and a big tube to move them. They tend to be very tight.

However, I found that most of the adjustment can be made using the side brackets and the bonnet pins. Just be sure to adjust the cable properly when it's done, and check the shut lines between bonnet and wings also.

Hope it works out O.K, at least it's just time not money for a change!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well! Update 2 broken socketbars one freed nut one not:mad:
I think Ill leave well alone and live with it,unless any more Ideas.:( Cheers All

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Again!!
Got the other bolt free:thumbs: :thumbs:
Should I be doing anything else to adjust this bumper/bonnet gap?
I just seem to be undoing the bolts with no apparent results:confused:
Thanks for your ideas alfisti!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ive been having the same problem. I cant find these side adjustment bolts. Any help? Pics maybe?

The front brackets have been tightened as much as possible, i guess they are at the end of their travel. The bumper is still sagging

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I cant see how those two big allen bolts adjust anything.When i had my bumper off the only way i could see for adjustment would be to slacked the bumper mounts themselves and push them up a little.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi there,
Found the adjusting screw. On mine car 2001 PII it is size 10 mm. On bouth sides they are moving, but allready fully screwed in. The gap is still huge, does this mean i need to re-weld the mounts, or atleas give them a good hammering :rolleyes: ?

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't forget that the gap between bonnet & bumper will have to be larger to allow for overslam as the bonnet closes. There probably needs to be something of the order of 7-10mm of gap to allow for this. The best you can hope for is an even gap from left to right, it will always be a large gap tho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2004 updated grille model which had front end damage and the new bumper has a gap on both sides which I can put my fingers into - is this the same problem as mentioned above - the car drives perfectly so i think the repair is right - could I just adjust the bumper?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hi there,
Found the adjusting screw. On mine car 2001 PII it is size 10 mm. On bouth sides they are moving, but allready fully screwed in. The gap is still huge, does this mean i need to re-weld the mounts, or atleas give them a good hammering :rolleyes: ?
No you have to unscrew the 10mm bolt to reveal a 15mm allen head bolt. That is the adjustment bolt.:thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts