Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down a dual carriageway one morning just before christmas(it was quiet luckily) at between 70/80 miles an hour, when suddenly the bonnet flew up smashing the windscreen and bending the roof and windscreen pillars. The bonnet stayed for a couple of seconds before ripping off the car completely.
The bonnet hadn't been up for three of four weeks and i had driven up and down the road many times since it had been.
Thankfully it was quiet so it didnt cause any problems behind. It could have caused a major accident if the road was busy.
Lucky to escape with a bump on the head from the rear view mirror flying off!

The car is (or was) the Alfa 3.0L V6 GTV. Had to send it away so i didnt have to look at it!

Has anyone heard of this before? It it a known fault etc... If so may be worth a letter to Alfa.

Driving a Renault Diesel Estate isnt quite the same!! It effects a fellas self esteem!!

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Holy cow!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry to hear about that as my missus has a GTV and often drive it.....:eek:

Welcome to AO I have not seen or heard of that before on a GTV....however I did experience this in a rover 216.

I am sure someone here will tell you how and why it could have happened.

Chris

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
:eek: Sorry to hear about this. I know that it more or less writes the car off, but I've never heard of a catch failing before - usually its caused by the bonnet not being closed properly, or the bolts shearing.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy cow indeed!!
Its a hell of a big bonnet to pop up!
Its had the go ahead for the repairs but at £600 for the insurance excess...ouch.
Happened going over a little pothole. The main catches must have failed somehow. Looks like the safety catch sheared off, although the fact the bonnet was thrown down the bypass at 80mph could have broken that off.
Fun and games

·
Registered
560 Posts
blimey o'reilly that must have scared the living bejesus out of you. lucky to walk away with only a small bump to the head. glad to hear it'll be back on the road soon. hope it's not a common problem, normally a car bonnet bumps up and down a bit if not closed properly before just ripping off unless the shape of the gtv bonet means aeodynamics hold it down but if thats the case it should n't ripp off at all??:confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah was a bit of a brown trousers moment!
Got the bonnet back though.. would make a good four man sledge if anyone is interested.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, i have a 2001 156 which was recalled middle of last year for problems with the bonnet catch. The letter i received from Alfa stated that there was a risk of the bonnet flying open. It might be worth you looking into. :confused:

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
haha! nice to here you can joke about it!!!!!

Is the car a write off, coz it looks good..............shame if it is!!!!

Sounds like you bonnect catch got stuck when you put it down last time and didnt lock!

had an issue with the 166 when that got stuck, only i couldnt open it!

If the car is ok, get a new catch fitted and keep it lubed with moter oil, works a treat and keeps it in good nik! WD40 is ok, but best to use thick oil!

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
This is a common problems with Fiat coupe's apparently, I assume they ase the same catch mechanism.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what Irish said....had mine checked by sidwells late last year

glad to hear you are okay

:eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to laugh or you'd cry!!
Its not a write off luckily, its in for repairs at the minute. They are waiting for a new roof skin to arrive from Italy.... apparently!!
It must have been close to being a write off as it did pull the drivers side door pillar a little.
I uploaded a picture of the damage... as some say its all an elaborate ploy to show off the engine :D

I dont envy the guy in the spray booth though no!! its a pain in the bum painting a normal sized bonnet.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks nasty, your lucky they didn't write it off. I think they would've been within their rights to. Hope the paint atchs ok when it's done.

Keep us all posted, good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts