Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that the big end bearing has gone in my gtv,but there isnt any metal filings in the oil,when i dropped it.

The engine ,when running, has a bad knocking noise but dosnt seem to have any loss in power....but after a short time running stalls and wont restart till it cools down!!!

any advice please....

Mark

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Drop the sump off and look. It dosen't look to bad a job to do tbh, I am just about to do mine. Exhaust to remove a bit of a pain but other than that straight forward. Remove the bearing caps, being careful not to mix them up and remember how they go back and have a look. This is a good pic I found while trawling the net for info, showing what the crank journal should look like and what it can look like!

Once you have got this far, if you think the crank is ok, you might as well slip new shells in. I will measure the crank journal to get the right size shell. Alfa do 3 standard sizes but you can get oversize shells if the crank has to be reground.

Oh, and stop running it to listen to it! You will only make things worse!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This seems to be quite a common issue with the GTV TS.Would it not be more economical to change the shells before a problem occurs?Excuse my ignorance of this matter:rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
the shells are normally ok, 2 reasons why they go on the t.s

1) somewhere in its life it has been run on low oil levels
2) it has had a cambelt snap, this tends to shock the shells, people have the top end rebuilt but dont bother with the bottom end,,10,000miles later and you start to get the knocking.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
its crazy really to ignore the shells if the top has had a failure. For the sake of 50 quid why risk it?

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
What is the tale-tell signs or sounds of big end things going? My friend reckons something is on the way out on my car, just wondered what I need to listen out for?

J

·
0 Posts
What is the tale-tell signs or sounds of big end things going? My friend reckons something is on the way out on my car, just wondered what I need to listen out for?
a consistant knocking noise that does not go away as the revs rise....

Whereabout are you currently mate? if you are near plymouth swing by and i will have a looky for you :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
If they go you will certainly know about it..

Usually the problem will get rapidly worse once they start to fail. A few miles and you would want to pull over and see what the noise was.

Thats if the engine didn't throw a rod before you could stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your replies....
I bought the car last year after the engine was suposed to have been rebuilt after a cam belt slip.
it had some body work damage so I spent nearly £1000 on that and getting it through an mot.
I`ve only done 2000 miles and this has hapend.
Its up on the ramps,oil dropped and awaiting the sump to follow as i thought i may as well take a look.
Thanks again for your replies....now where would i get new shells from?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
This seems to be quite a common issue with the GTV TS.Would it not be more economical to change the shells before a problem occurs?Excuse my ignorance of this matter:rolleyes:
You wont know they are going until "DDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY" :cry:

the shells are normally ok, 2 reasons why they go on the t.s

1) somewhere in its life it has been run on low oil levels
2) it has had a cambelt snap, this tends to shock the shells, people have the top end rebuilt but dont bother with the bottom end,,10,000miles later and you start to get the knocking.
DING! :thumbs:

"DDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY KNOCKY" :cry:

Shells from Alfa Romeo or cheaper from any motor factors.

:)

P

D

·
0 Posts
if it has had a cam belt slip then that will be the 110% reason why the bottom end has gone, it only has to slip 2 teeth. as you havent had the car long do you have any receipts of when the belt was last changed?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
if it has had a cam belt slip then that will be the 110% reason why the bottom end has gone, it only has to slip 2 teeth. as you havent had the car long do you have any receipts of when the belt was last changed?
Don't say that!! My GTV project has slipped 2 teeth and the consensus on this forum is that it will be ok! I had decided not to take the head off. Don't start putting doubt in my mind now :lol:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-images-registered-only/168718-my-new-project.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts