Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on holiday in August for 2 weeks and in that time my battery had gone flat. Called the AA who did a crank test and found that the battery had died(original battery for 2002).

I now have a new battery, but having left the car again for 2 weeks without use the new battery has gone flat. Called the RAC who told me the battery is fine. He also said that going on a "long drive" will never fully charge a battery. I will just replace what was used to start the car" Is that correct?

My questions are:

Could it be the Meta alarm draining it?

My stereo face is off so i assume that is nt the problem?

Is it just a GTV thing?

I cant hook up a trickle charger because if mains avalibility. I have bought a portable jump starter at huge annoying cost, but surely i should nt have to use that on a regular basis.

Should i go out a buy a BMW 3 series coupe?:(

D

·
0 Posts
Did rac check for a drain on the battery ?
I would expect maybe .2 or bit more amp drain with everything switched off.
If you have much bigger drain could be fault with alarm, head unit or maybe boot light if you have one just not switching off.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did rac check for a drain on the battery ?
I would expect maybe .2 or bit more amp drain with everything switched off.
If you have much bigger drain could be fault with alarm, head unit or maybe boot light if you have one just not switching off.
Not as far as im aware. Can i check that? How would i do it?

D

·
0 Posts
You can check.
Have look at this site - check for parasitic draw.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb4.pdf
You might want to take it to auto spark if you dont have tools. If you do have too big drain you can pull the fuses til draw goes down. Make sure you have radio code though.
Can you lower back seats on gtv ? if so shut hutch with seats down and you should be able to see if light stays on

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
Do the checks suggested to see if you have a problem. Do be careful though if you are not familiar with auto electrics and/or meters, damage can be done to the car and more importantly to yourself, especially if you make a mistake whilst using the Amps functions on DMM's.

If you often leave the car for long periods why not invest in one of these ? I got one just like it for less than a tenner from eBay.

Solar Power 12V Battery Charger, Only 13.99 - - Ryness Lighting and Electrical

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the checks suggested to see if you have a problem. Do be careful though if you are not familiar with auto electrics and/or meters, damage can be done to the car and more importantly to yourself, especially if you make a mistake whilst using the Amps functions on DMM's.

If you often leave the car for long periods why not invest in one of these ? I got one just like it for less than a tenner from eBay.

Solar Power 12V Battery Charger, Only 13.99 - - Ryness Lighting and Electrical
I think you are right. I have to pop to Rusper Alfa to pick something up next week so i will have a word with the guys there. Im really not good with auto electrics

·
16,370 Posts
I think you are right. I have to pop to Rusper Alfa to pick something up next week so i will have a word with the guys there. Im really not good with auto electrics
:thumbs: I think a good decision Oliver. I have read similar posts on here and it seems that a lack of expertise and basic knowledge may cause more problems than they cure with these sort of things. I like to save money like everyone else but I realize my limitations, will have a go at the electrics for instance but nothing would tempt me to change a cambelt even though I THINK I could do it.

Hope they find something simple and cheap to fix.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree with Nige005 if you are not sure about it best let someone else do it especially with all the sensitive electrics on cars these days.
I've just serviced my 147, oil, plugs etc but no way I'd try a cambelt either.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The barsteward has done it again. Not had time to take your advice yet and get it checked, gonna try this weekend. Assuming it is found to have excessive drain, could it be the radio. I did nt fit it but its a Sony that never switches off. You have to take the face off to get it to go off. If this is the problem, how the hell would i re wire it?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
i had this with mine,

You can fully switch off the head unit, just hold down the off button for three seconds.

i discovered this after re-wiring the bloody thing into the cig lighter feed!!

·
16,370 Posts
As Phil said you have to hold the off switch for a few seconds to fully switch it off, mines a Sony and so imagine yours would have the same sort of arrangement. A Head Unit permanently on will certainly drain the battery on a car that is just stood.

There are a few Threads on here about rewiring the ICE to an ignition switched supply so this is possible but cars seem to vary on their wiring, surprise surprise. For instance my cig lighter is permanently " ON " whilst others are switched !

Might be worth doing a search to give the auto 'leccy a steer if you are going this route.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys. i will try the 3-5 seconds press on the off button.
I have spoken with Rusper Alfa today, and they are taking the car in over the weekend to charge the battery and attempt to diag the fault. He suggested that in his experience it can be something as simple as an electric mirror switch malfunctioning?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To update....battery is ok and charged. No other obvious fault. Gona try switching the radio fully off and see if it starts at the weekend.

·
Registered
449 Posts
So you definitely haven't got a problem with the boot or glove compartment light?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 98 2.0TS and do very low mileage (5k a year). I've had the car from new and generally end up changing batteries every 2 years by which time they normally no longer hold a charge.

Due to change it again and thought that maybe I am using wrong type of battery. There is no spec in the handbook. Can I ask what battery type/code I should be looking for (no air con - but maybe a more powerful battery would help?).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Can I ask what battery type/code I should be looking for (no air con - but maybe a more powerful battery would help?).
The 2.0 GTV would be an '063' or '065' battery, the 3.0 V6 an '027'.

No battery likes sitting around doing nothing - I usually only drive my GTV at weekends. A good, hard drive a couple of times a week keeps my battery working fine.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I replaced my old knackered one earlier in the year, the guy who was supplying the new one got me the slightly more powerful one used in the 3.2 cars as he thought that it would be best esp with an amp & sub in the car.
Has started fine even when not driven for a month

1 - 20 of 26 Posts