Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread elsewhere about the price of V6's being low (one went on ebay very recently for about £1600) has led me to wondering what these cars are like as track day tools. Anyone used one in anger? What are the useful mods?

At the sorts of prices these cars seem to be going for I was thinking about getting one, keeping it road registered but stripping it out, fitting a cage and taking it on track. Any views on this?

In an ideal world I'd like a race prepared one (Alfa Series Class C?)but I am sure that would involve unimaginable expense and I am probably better off racing my old Fiat or my 33!!

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I have have been thinking along the same lines :lol: It would surely make a great looking track day toy

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've driven mine on the track a couple of times and always enjoyed it... Obvioulsy you aren't going to be troubling the 911s (assuming similar driving ability) but the GTV is fast and fun. They are FWD, so for purists this may not appeal.

Useful mods are uprated brakes (performance pads and fluid, braided brake lines and I'd go for some ducting to cool the fronts). Also a Q2 to help get the power down out of the slow corners.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
FWD isn't ideal for a track car, and what about cost of parts? Eg a new bonnet after even a minor prang will still cost a fortune. Even stripped out the GTV might be a bit lardy still?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I know that FWD isn't the purists choice but it suits me. I have tried my hand in single seaters and couldn't cope and now race a Fiat Uno and an Alfa 33 in the CSCC "Tin Tops" series, which I actually enjoy far more - i don't feel as though I am going to kill myself!! Neither of these cars are ideal for track days, though, (no second seat, very noisy, need to be towed etc) and I'd like something relatively cheap to buy but with good performance that can maybe used to have an instructor alongside. There seems to be enough cheap cars about for parts not to be too much of a problem and the car will inevitably not need to be very smart! I fancy a V6, just because I do! Otherwise maybe a cheap 145/146 Twin Spark that i could prepare to ARCA Class F regs would be a better bet.

If a GTV can be gradually developed into a race car over time then that's all to the good. I know that Peak Alfa run one in ARCA Class A but that's a serious racing machine & way outside my budget! They also have a more "production racing" spec car in ARCA Class C, it would be interesting to know what it takes to get a car to that spec. There'sa couple that race in Class C, I think.

I used to have a 944 Turbo that i used on track days and that was a great track day car without any mods.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
FWD isn't ideal for a track car, and what about cost of parts? Eg a new bonnet after even a minor prang will still cost a fortune. Even stripped out the GTV might be a bit lardy still?
And yet most Touring Cars manage ok with FWD :)

I wouldn't worry too much about parts... if it is a track day car rather than a race car then you shouldn't be colliding unless you're very unlucky.

The v6 costs more to run than the twinny for track days as it get through brakes quicker due to the heavy front end and it won't be as nimble round the corners... but the v6 power on the straights is nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts