Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I think my GTV is gonna have to go :cry: .......... I change my job in April and I'm going to be putting in mileage to work and back ............ So I'm resigned to the fact that i'm going to have to get a bl**dy diesel ..........

So I'm going to be on the lookout soon and thought I'd see if I could get a few opinions on which would be the best choice.........

a 156 or a GT .................. and ................. 1.9 or 2.4 diesel.

I'm going to need some economy and a little bit of performance................. and am I really going to save much on running costs if I change ???? Bearing in mind I've spent a fortune on my GTV since I've had it (Exhaust, Cambelt, Tyres, Suspension) it's a really "up together car" and I'd hate to part with it and end up buying an unreliable "dog"......... Particularly an unreliable dog with a tractor engine in it if I really do have to go dowwn that route......

Any pointers, help, slagging off or otherwise welcome here as I need to come up with a decision.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
interior face lift 2.4 10v 150bhp 156, there, done:thumbs:

if you want the 2.4, you can only get it in a 156, the 1.9 is good, but the 2.4 makes a great noise, even for a diesel. thats what i would get.

depends if prefer a low slung coupe, or a practical(ish) saloon:thumbs:

either would be nice, but the above would be my choice;)

·
Registered
38,926 Posts
I have only driven one car with the 1.9 16V diesel engine and I hated it.

To say it was a culture shock would be an understatement.

If going with a Diesel it would have to be a 156 with the 175bhp 20V for me, and sod the fuel economy. It is just a pity they didn't fit that engine in the GT. :(

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove a 1.9 diesel GT when they gave me it as a courtesy car ............ I wasn't impressed

If I do go for a diesel I guess it'd have to be a 156 2.4 ............... but if I'm not going to save anything on fuel it probably isn't worth the bother......... But have to come up with something.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
38,926 Posts
How about a 156 2.0TS?

Mine was one of the best cars I have owned, and I should have kept it really.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I drove a 1.9 diesel GT when they gave me it as a courtesy car ............ I wasn't impressed

If I do go for a diesel I guess it'd have to be a 156 2.4 ............... but if I'm not going to save anything on fuel it probably isn't worth the bother......... But have to come up with something.

Cheers to All
Peter
err you will unless there is something really wrong with the 2.4 156 you get. my mums was excellent on fuel.

manchester to cornwall on just under half a tank, id consider to be pretty good:D

even to and from work it was doing over 40mpg.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about a 156 2.0TS?

Mine was one of the best cars I have owned, and I should have kept it really.
But would that be any better on fuel than my 2.0 JTS ????

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
err you will unless there is something really wrong with the 2.4 156 you get. my mums was excellent on fuel.

manchester to cornwall on just under half a tank, id consider to be pretty good:D

even to and from work it was doing over 40mpg.
Maybe I need to start looking in that direction................

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I used to drive my dads mercedes 300 Diesel and it was a tractor engine !

I heard some of the modern diesel cars are very good like you wouldnt know it was a diesel. But think there other brands and not Alfa. Does it have to be an Alfa?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the 10v 150 facelift interior 156 2.4JTD and its brilliant.
I do 60 miles a day and the odd spirited drive and town driving and on my last fill up averaged 49mpg with 610 miles on my tank :)

Sounds good too...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 10v 150 facelift interior 156 2.4JTD and its brilliant.
I do 60 miles a day and the odd spirited drive and town driving and on my last fill up averaged 49mpg with 610 miles on my tank :)

Sounds good too...
I think that's what I'll be needing to look at................

Cheers to All
Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts