Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 GTV has completely rotted bumper posts (the load bearing bits - dunno what else to call em) which finally gave way after a close encounter with a raised manhole cover

Anyone got a part number for them, or advice on cheapest course to repair as my cable tied bodge isn't much of a long term solution. Are they a common part with other alfas of that vintage?

Any advice much appreciated

·
Registered
449 Posts
^^ Yep, Fiat seem to think that a piece of stamped out metal plate with pathetic 1mm tubing is worth £60. Bloody ridiculous and disgusting.

My mechanic made mine using the same plate but with 2-3mm tubing and some proper welding. They'll last forever.

I suggest you don't bother with the original part - new or used - they'll only break again, and take the original plate to someone who can weld a piece of 2-3mm tube to it. Once done simply coat with Hammerite. It'll cost you far less than the £120 Fiat will want for two new ones and they'll never break again. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
^^ Yep, Fiat seem to think that a piece of stamped out metal plate with pathetic 1mm tubing is worth £60. Bloody ridiculous and disgusting.

My mechanic made mine using the same plate but with 2-3mm tubing and some proper welding. They'll last forever.

I suggest you don't bother with the original part - new or used - they'll only break again, and take the original plate to someone who can weld a piece of 2-3mm tube to it. Once done simply coat with Hammerite. It'll cost you far less than the £120 Fiat will want for two new ones and they'll never break again. ;)
do you mean 1mm in thickness of the metal wall around the tube

·
Registered
449 Posts
do you mean 1mm in thickness of the metal wall around the tube
The front bumper mount is basically a 5mm metal plate (which fixes to the car), one end of 1mm(ish) thick tubing (about 30mm in diameter - not too dissimilar in size and thickness of copper gas pipe) is welded to this plate, the other to a bush, which carries the bumper. The plate and bush surround are fine but the tubing is pathetic and corrodes extremely quickly. It would cost next to nothing to make these mounts and yet a dealer has quoted me £48 + VAT, and that excludes the bush!

I don't mind paying dealer prices for certain items but when what you're buying is complete rubbish I simply cannot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi - I would be concerned about over engineering the tubular section of the bumper support. Take it to the extreme, and replace it with a solid bar of steel. In the event of an accident the full force of the impact will be transferred into the structure of the car, rather than partially crumpling.

I'd much prefer that the bumper support assist with absorbing some of the impact, than put more energy into the main structure of the car.

My recommendation - replace like for like. I'd hope Alfa designed the component to contribute as part of the overall crash protection. If there are concerns with corrosion, spend some extra on good paint, or galvanise.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.