Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTV V6 must be one of the best looking & sounding Alfa Romeos ever.Can't understand why they are so undervalued at the moment,I have had three now and all V6s have been a pleasure to own and drive.Galvanised body so no terrible rust issues like Alfas of old,great engine and looks to die for.
I guess its a matter of time before they become classics and rocket in value like all old Alfas do eventually!
If you compare the SZ Monster to the GTV,surely no contest on looks and only rarity props up the values of the SZ,a decent one being around 25-30K about 10x value of a reasonable GTV.Not having owned both an SZ and GTV V6 I can not comment on handling and performance,but surely they are very similar,both are V6 powered and would I be right in saying they share similar underpinnings?
When I drive mine I feel a real sense of driving something special,forget what they cost,its a real Alfa Romeo thoroughbred.I am amazed at how many people don't know what it is,they are quite a rare sight now.
On pure looks alone the GTV must be one of the best looking,head turning Alfas ever and great value too,you can't be a true petrolhead until you have driven one,what do you all think??

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Well for a start the SZ has totally different underpinnings (it's rear wheel drive) and an older 12v version of the V6, so really it has nothing in common with a GTV. The awesome-looking glass fibre body has the looks of a concept car, and the handmade nature of the car will always put it into a different league value-wise.

That said, I'm not saying the GTV isn't a great car, it's probably better all round than many cars Alfa Romeo have made in recent years. Some of my friends think the Spider is ugly - one likened it to a flying saucer. I think the 156 is more beautiful, but the Spider is more fun.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Sz is from the previous generation - probably nearest to a 75 underneath. GTV is first of the fwd generation - totally different.

Really not sure about the galvanising. If they were, why do they rust?

Otherwise, I agree entirely - marvellous machines!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I´m completely agree with Petroheadguru, drive a GTV V6 will be a dream for every petrolhead.

And we can also talk about the interior, have you seen something better for a sportscar? It´s perfect.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think they are beautiful looking cars, many years ago even before I drove I saw first a spider, then a gtv, and wanted one, and am lucky to have gotten to have one.

My OH loves how much I love driving it too, he's thrilled that I've a car I enjoy so much (I'm one of those people who goes for a "drive" after a shitty day in work)

Colleagues in work who are into cars also think it's a fab car.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Best looking Alfa EVER? Not even close

You seem to forget the 8C Competizione, 8C Spider and the Tipo 33 Stradale
Not the same thing.
And for that matter the SZ.
All of them were limited production so yes I agree the GTV is the best followed closely by the previous generation GT and GTV’s in both looks and driving pleasure.
I am fortunate enough to have owned all of them at a stage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was behind one the other day and I'm sorry but i just dont like them at all. The rear end lights looks like a visor on a star wars helmet.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
And the phase three is the best 916
(dont start you series two owners your only jealouse:tut:):cool::cool::cool::lol::lol:

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Sz is from the previous generation - probably nearest to a 75 underneath. GTV is first of the fwd generation - totally different.

Really not sure about the galvanising. If they were, why do they rust?

SZ has the 12v longitudinally mounted v6, gearbox and transaxle from the 75...

The GTV's rust because AR galvanised most of the panels except the floorpan.. :rolleyes:

:D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would suggest watching Victory by Design for good looking Alfa's my favorite is the Le Mans special that never really got to race, its streamlined body is like nothing else. I love my Spider though. Weather forecast says temperature by be 1 degree this weekend, but if it is not raining or road wet I will be out with the roof down. :cool:

·
Registered
798 Posts
The GTV's rust because AR galvanised most of the panels except the floorpan.. :rolleyes:

:D.
"Outta the sight-a, out of the mind-a." 916 designer :lol:

I'm just glad I live in Australia where things don't rust unless they're 25 years old and/or in a seaside location.

I like the looks of my car, there are plenty of Alfas better looking but it's up there. Got the Cup-a-like with GTA wheels. Love it.

M

·
0 Posts
GTV is first of the fwd generation
Errrrr....what about the 33, 145, 146 and 155 ?

All front wheel drive and out a few years before the 916.

And there are plenty of better looking Alfas from before and after the 916 was introduced in my opinion :)

1 - 20 of 285 Posts