Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All
Had the unfortunate experience of knoking a pillar in a tight parking garage and damaged my left rear fender quite badly:mad: . Damage is from door lock to wheel arch...everything in between is "cratered" in. Insurance assessor recommended that fender can be repaired and is the better option. Independent Panel shop recommend replacement of the whole fender as fender can never be repaired to original condition i.e. the line/curve cannot be matched and one will end up with waves, etc.:confused: I dont want my fender to compose bodyfiller/bondo....and would prefer replacment of the fender...
Is there any risk with replacing the fender as opposed to repair?...i.e. structural integrity.....keep in mind that the panel represents a quarter of the car....rear windscreen, quarter window, bumper, interior, factory welds, etc has to be removed...but can it actually be repaired? or is repalcement the best option?:confused:

Anybody with experience in this similar situation?

Cheerio

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
as you say its from door lock to wheel arch i assume its the rear wing, where the pininfarina badge is. if thats the case i think its a complete panel from that rear quater along the top of the door to the front screen. thats a hell of a job to replace and i would say it wouldn't be great to repair if a lot of work was needed. have seen a few cars on ebay written off with this damage. good luck!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
this is the picture from eper. shows the rear quater and all around the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
A drunk driver hitted my cars rear wing like yours and it repaired well, but the talent of the worker should be good because of the line of the rear wing. The guy worked on it for a week just to make it good and than it painted.Changing it is a lot work like neilied said. It was a very very very bad before but now there is no difference btwn the left one.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
amazingly though the cost of repair when replacing it must be all labour and painting as the part cost is only £245

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'd get it repaired if you can. When your car was made it would have been dipped in all sorts of rust proofing, like E-cote. If you fit a new panel you will lose a lot of protection from the cutting grinding and welding involved.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI All
Many thanks for the responses.
@Nellied, thanks for the pic...it defintely helps to understand the magnitude of the job.....
My problem with having it repaired is that the fender would now have bodyfiller...& as fellow Spider_Volkan said, to get the line correct is a big mission....this is sorted with a new panel...however I have no clue about panel beating...would replacing the panel involve loads of cutting and welding....The cost of replacing the panel means removing and refitting the rear bumber, windscreen, interior, etc...loads of labour there...
@AlfieGTV - The panel shop did quote on rustproofing, etc.
I am still hardpressed as to which way to go, that would best serve the car...anybody in here thats in the Panel shop business and worked on a GTV before??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts