Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought another 3.0 GTV 24v and the day i got it, the car seemed to be missing when running at a constant speed and the engine was at around 3000rpm. I decided to change plugs as I thought it was down to old plugs but still no improvement. I changed the MAF and did a full ECU reset this morning and thought it would reset a few of the parameters but sadly didn't produce any results.

I opened the bonnet the other day and unplugged every little plug i could find and made sure there was no water causing any trouble in the connections and gave them a quick spray with switch gear cleaner just to make sure the contact was good. I bought some injector cleaner and put it in with some fuel and thought it would maybe clean out the injectors.

If I can describe the problem i would say that when I accelerate up through the gears getting up to highway speed, she will rev fine through 1st, 2nd and 3rd but when the engine revs up to about 3000rpm, she seems to have a little surge and then she feels to jump from 6 cylinders to 5 or possibly 4 cylinders and then a few seconds later it will kick up back to 6 and pull again and so the missing process starts again. Its like the engine stops getting fuel and then gets it again, if I can say that ? Being a phase 2 GTV, I believe that it doesnt have a stand alone fuel filter that can be changed.

I found that yesterday morning and this morning when I started her, she seemed to run with such a miss for about 2 or 3 minutes kicking onto all cylinders and then down to 5 or 4.. I;ve never heard of anyone having this problem before :(

does anyone know what this could be? Can my fuel pump filter be blocked ? Could my injectors be dirty?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right so phoned the guy that does diagnostics for me and he is hoping have a spot open tomorrow night so I can see what's wrong with my car. Hoping its a clear cut problem that we can sort on the spot.

Anyone else able to suggest anything that could be wrong with the car ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the GTV is FIXED! I was having a look around the forums the other day and I see that people have posted about how they mixed up the lambda plugs and thereby losing power.. So the other day I decided to switch them around and see how the car went but I kept putting off taking the car for a drive until today, where I was meant to do about 200km for work and what a result !

Put petrol in and started accelerating up to 120km/h and noticed no stutter or lack of power whatsoever.. One happy Alfa owner here :D

when the previous owner had the Novitec put on, someone must've plugged the lambda plugs in the wrong way around

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Only seeing this now...nice you found it, I was gona suggest Lambda and Coilpacks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ai what is it with this car and giving me trouble..

I've got all these problems all over again. She's spluttering again between 2000 and up until I put my foot down n then she comes right again..

She was fine for like 8 months n now she does this to me :depressed:

If I unplug the lambda sensors she comes right but what do lambdas cost ?

·
Registered
322 Posts

I've got all these problems all over again. She's spluttering again between 2000 and up until I put my foot down n then she comes right again..

Lambdas can last 100000m+ or only 60000m-ish - you might just need news ones!

·
Registered
692 Posts

Mine cost around £60. A pig to remove from the downpipe though. I assume the heat caused it to seize

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had very similar problems intermittently. Changed plugs, MAF, airfilter, checked for cracks, cleaned connectors but did not work. Changed both lambdaprobes in the end, and the problem disappeared completely. Diagnostics had both lambdas working but looking at real time data suggested that one was reacting very slowly. Changed both though.

Mine is PH2, euro2 (1 cat) 60tkm. Lambda numbers are 0 258 006 193 and 0 258 006 190 (just cable length differs). Best price I found was around 75 euros.

I used heat to get them of.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had very similar problems intermittently. Changed plugs, MAF, airfilter, checked for cracks, cleaned connectors but did not work. Changed both lambdaprobes in the end, and the problem disappeared completely. Diagnostics had both lambdas working but looking at real time data suggested that one was reacting very slowly. Changed both though.

Mine is PH2, euro2 (1 cat) 60tkm. Lambda numbers are 0 258 006 193 and 0 258 006 190 (just cable length differs). Best price I found was around 75 euros.

I used heat to get them of.
Correct. Some online guides suggest the wrong probes, but these are the right numbers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts