Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't like the GTV's body roll on high speed corners. From what I've read, the front ARB is actually thinner than the 2.0's (some say a 155 and Fiat Coupe's bars are thicker up front than the V6 and the rear is also a joke. Anyone here upgrade their ARB's without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's both front and rear body roll I don't like. Maybe I should set the front Koni's stiffer?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Did you cut your rear bump stops? :vs_no_no_no:
Once you have control of the rear of a GTV then it will handle like a kart. You need to look at suspension bushes for play/wear. Personally I prefer OEM but if you want stiffer then polybush is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You can fit a 156 2.5 or gta front arb but then the front will be to stiff compared to the rear so handling will suffer.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, TN. Ian, I have yellow Konis up front and orange in the back. Eibach red, which could be anything between -20 and -60mm depending on the day you ask around :D...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Back konis not up to the task at hand

·
Registered
569 Posts
In my opinion stiff roll bars, particularly at the front will just result in more under steer. Mine has strut brace and the yellow Koni's, front and back which are set to their hardest setting.

Honestly if you want the car to be driveable everyday I do not suggest this setting because it is extremely hard.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Set the front shocks n bit softer and understear will be even les.
Rear should be the stiffest. Proven on the track with my gtv.
I have a 156 V6 front Arb propper strut brace not the ricer things with sheat mettle mountings. We also reinforced the front cross member probably the best single improvement.
Koni and eibach all round with Q2

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
We are looking at manufacturing stiffer rear ARBs as well.
Have to keep the front wheels on the road even with a Q2

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a kitchen installation and car respray, it's unlikely that I'm going to be upgrading the rear shocks soon, Avi :biglaugh:.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
There actually is nothing better than the simple proven concept of Koni Sport Yellow on a 916 together with Eibach. STR doesn't provide the edge needed in a GTV. On Eibachs I have no issues with body roll, and the bump stops serve to firm up the rear in extremis, when you need it to. The bumpstops are not nearly as harsh as people think. As I mentioned before, stiffen up the rear. Stiffen the rear anti-roll bar as well if you need to. It will go some way to alleviate your body roll. This is a kit for improving the handling of a GTV as sold by Alfaholics, but even as can be seen in these pictures, there is significant body roll through tight corners: Alfaholics 916 Series GTV/Spider 3.0 V6 handling kit

When you read what Alfaholics has done, it goes against the principle of stiffening the front leading to more understeer. That is the main reason why a 3.0 GTV has a smaller front ARB. To reduce understeer.

Lastly, be carefull what you do to alleviate body roll. It may cost you dearly in handling.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stiffening the rear is what I'm interested in.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Manufacturers use one of 2 methods to counter body roll and alfa used one on the gtv and another on the GTA.

Gtv 3.2 stiff coils with smaller ARB this will compromise comfort in some people's opinion.
GTA more compliant coils with stiffer ARB resulting in a better ride.

EL with your setup the first thin I will do is upgrade the rear shocks the ones in your vehicle is basically replacements for the oe shock and not propper performance units.

I did the front konis about 10k km before the rears and changing the rear units was probably the best handling upgrade I did. It compleatly transformed the car

Reactions: Ian Lusso

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, TN. I think this is what I'll do first then.

Ian, the bump stops were literally almost as long as the space they were supposed to fit in. I had to trim them a bit. Wouldn't rear steering have been affected negatively if there was no space between the pan and the bump stop?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts