Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just joined so not sure how it all works but here goes anyway. Does anyone know the maximum BHP you can squeeze out of a 3.0 V6 a) without remapping (just adding sports exhaust and induction kit etc) and b) with remapping?

Thanks,

CRX

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Big restrictions are the cat converters, remove these for the best gain. Re-mapping is worth doing once you have finished doing all other modifications. When your cambelt is due for a change you could fit the inlet cams from the 3.2 GTA and time it using the GTA cam locks for some more power..

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Autodelta do a 300bhp supercharged version for £4,450 + VAT
AHM will supercharge it too for about 5k ... bet he can get more than 300bhp out of it though ;)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Big restrictions are the cat converters, remove these for the best gain. Re-mapping is worth doing once you have finished doing all other modifications. When your cambelt is due for a change you could fit the inlet cams from the 3.2 GTA and time it using the GTA cam locks for some more power..
You mean all 4 converters out?
What about lambdas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At those prices, I'm sure they're extremely helpful:rolleyes:
Actually they quoted me £500 upwards... maybe a line to get me in to see them (??) but I doubt I'll go for the remapping anyway. It needs a service and new water pump so I thought about getting some modifications at the same time. Probably just go for induction kit and new exhaust for now. OR.. even trade this bad boy in for a newer 3.2 - although you get stung on the emissions for cars later than 2003 (mines a 1999).

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
although you get stung on the emissions for cars later than 2003 (mines a 1999).
March 2001, not 2003.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AHM will supercharge it too for about 5k ... bet he can get more than 300bhp out of it though ;)
Must be able to get more than 300. My brother (for his sins) owns a Vauxhall Astra 2.0 Turbo and he can get that remapped to 340bhp!! (I feel sick just thinking about it.... :S)

·
Registered
111 Posts
What do you replace the cat with? Pipes or racing cat?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
At those prices, I'm sure they're extremely helpful:rolleyes:
I would not regard Autodelta as superficial if that's what you mean. I used to get my 164 serviced by Autodelta. I never spent big bucks there and was treated really well by them all the time, often just sitting with Jano and talking about cars to pass the time.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
You mean all 4 converters out?
What about lambdas?
Did some of the early 24v GTVs come with just a single cat under the car, the later ones with one in each manifold and two under the car?

what is the maximum bhp from an exhaust and remapping, i dnt want more than 280 goin thru the front wheels
You won't get anywhere near 280...

What do you replace the cat with? Pipes or racing cat?
Straight pipe on mine.. Racing cats are expensive, I'll just put the standard cat back on for MOT then take it off again.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Autodelta claim 25-28bhp increase with their cams... They're over £2000. AHM do some which are under £1000, do you think they offer similar power increase?

For that 25 or so hp, AD claim 1sec off 0-60 time which would make it sub 6 seconds - pretty significant.

220 standard + 25 + decat + exhaust + intake = 260bhp maybe?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Autodelta claim 25-28bhp increase with their cams... They're over £2000. AHM do some which are under £1000, do you think they offer similar power increase?

For that 25 or so hp, AD claim 1sec off 0-60 time which would make it sub 6 seconds - pretty significant.

220 standard + 25 + decat + exhaust + intake = 260bhp maybe?
Not a bad guess.

Does anyone know anything about fitting an electric water pump?? Apparently it reduces drag on the engine...??? (Mine needs replacing at the moment...)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Isn't 220 BHP enough? :wow: I get scared driving the flat mates MR2 Turbo which is 250BHP on rear wheels, especially around corners and at speed. Mind you it doesn't feel as stable as my spider but that's only got 155.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
250 with exhaust +BMC intake + remap has been achieved, so with cams 260 is realistic i imagine.
The increase AD quote is inc the remap, which will make up half of the gain with or without the cams. - Getting 2nd hand GTA cams in there at cambelt service time might be the most cost effective way forward

1 - 20 of 74 Posts