Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all

I hope you all had a great Christmas:)

I have a problem with my car stereo. When I connect the face off, the stereo illuminates and the electric aerial goes up but I cant actually turn the car stereo on or use any of the buttons. When I detach the "face off" the aerial stays up and there is a static hiss as if the radio is still on. Even with the ignition off, the aerial stays up so the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery.

I've checked the fuses, but they seem fine. Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be? What can I do to get my stereo working again?

Would appreciate your expertise.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Gtv stereo wiring is not quite normal. It sounds like you need a re arrangement of the power feeds to the (I presume aftermarket) unit. The most common mod is to take a feed off the cigar lighter to give an ignition switched feed. There is a feed to the aerial that comes live when the unit is switched on and a further permanent live for station memory. Sort these three and your problem should go away.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The radio and the aerial have/should have permanent feed from the battery, same as the cig lighter. Maybe the problem lies here.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
The radio and the aerial have/should have permanent feed from the battery, same as the cig lighter. Maybe the problem lies here.
My Ph2 GTV has permanent feed to the radio but ignition switched to the cigar lighter.

Wiring is one thing on a car that I never fiddle with but as the OP says his radio lights up, wouldn't that mean a problem with the radio rather than the wiring....:confused:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The permanent feed to the radio is the odd part that is best got rid of. Loads of people leave the radio on and end up with a flat battery. In this case there could be a problem with the unit but I would try a re wire to get it to where the maker intended before I condemned it.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The wires going into your after market stereo should be arranged to standard ISO colours. A competent DIYer with a multimeter or test light should find it easy.

Yellow - Permanent power (for radio station memory)

Red - Switched power (take from cigar lighter feed)

Orange - Illumination

Blue - Power out with unit switched on.(electric aerial/amplifier switch on)

Black - Earth

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried anything yet, as I wanted to see if anybody else had experienced anything similar. It's possible there is a problem with the unit rather than the wiring. The stereo unit is the factory-fitted Clarion model which came with the car as standard. I will try a re-wire and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks for all your responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts