Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with the main differences between the Phase 2 and Phase 3 GTVs? Apart from the cosmetic facelift, I assume the availability of the JTS engine is the main difference.

I am looking at GTVs around 2003-5, and wasn't sure if it was worth finding the right JTS (which are certainly harder to track down). I am especially interested in whether the mpg is better, as I would be switching from a 147 JTD that returns about 50mpg on average from mostly A-road driving.

I also assume the reliability of the newer JTS is better? I am not forgetting performance - I have had a run in a 2.0TS and it was certainly quicker than my 147!

Anything else worth taking into account?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Limited knowledge here but would say 30 to 35mpg from both engines, TS requires more care regarding oil and cambelts - Alfa eventually changed the interval from 72k to 36k last year!

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
The bottom ends of both engines are the same, as is the cambelt arrangement, so both need similar care. Also both have Variators

The JTS is meant to be more torquey, but is slightly less zingy if that makes sense?

From what I have read in the real world there is not a massive difference between them though.

The JTS is specified with thicker oil is because so many TS engines were being run low on oil causing big end problems. The thicker oil doesn't burn as fast. :rolleyes:

You still need to check the level every week though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes, you should check oil every week as a precaution.

That said, and with the caveat that I drive a bit 'conservatively', I've only had to add oil between two oil changes once... and that was in full Neapolitan summer and because my alternate mechanic used 5W40 instead of 10W40. So, TS engines are not necessarily oil-thirsty, even in Southern-European climates.

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
Yes, you should check oil every week as a precaution.

That said, and with the caveat that I drive a bit 'conservatively', I've only had to add oil between two oil changes once... and that was in full Neapolitan summer and because my alternate mechanic used 5W40 instead of 10W40. So, TS engines are not necessarily oil-thirsty, even in Southern-European climates.
5w-40 and 10w-40 are the same viscosity when hot so swapping between shouldnt affect oil consumption.

I would rather run my TS cars on 5w-40 fully synthetic than 10w-60 fully synthetic to be honest. The thicker oil may help oil consumption, but it can also cause other problems such as excess drag, heat, and lower volumes of oil circulating the engine. It can also cause problems with bearings at high speed.

These effects will be worse in cooler climates.

Oilman has posted many excellent posts on oil viscosities.:thumbs:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had a JTS a TS and currently a V6 so can give you the truth.

JTS is lumpy, uncharacterful and uninspiring.

Does have a bit more mid range torque but if you get one you'll sorely miss the sound of the TS spinning up to high revs.

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with nwelch. The twinspark engine is alot more fun and sounds loads better than the JTS engine but I do prefer the grill on the phase 3 GTV

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
On another forum, there's a GTV JTS owner complaining that his JTS doesn't feel as if it's got the quoted 165bhp. I guess it's to do with more torque, less 'zing' that has been mentioned.

G

·
0 Posts
Alot of JTS engines are about 10bhp below what they should be. I reckon mine is

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Then check this thread out. It seems that early JTS engines have the wrong ECU maps which leads to excess deposit on intake valves and channels. Otherwise a 2.0 JTS is supposed to be torquier than a 2.0 TS.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Certainly the JTS engine has more torque than the TS, but in general the TS engine is so much more fun to drive than the JTS. In particualr the early Phase 1 engines (1995-97) were the best of the lot, very revvy and a distinct urge when maximum torque kicks in at around 4,000rpm. Also I'm not so sure that the deletion of the EGR pipe in the Phase 1 engines was a good idea. This job was taken over by the ECU and I don't think this was as effective as the old 'fifth pipe'.

My Phase 1 TS also does not burn any oil. Perhaps I'm lucky......

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Seems odd of Alfa to release an engine that sounds worse than it's predecessor, they must have had a bad day at the office then they re-engineered the TS to the JTS .. :p

I would rather have the sound than the 10 extra horses... You can always remap the TS ( http://ucables.com/ref/KWP2000 ) to get you more torque and even upto 175 with a better air intake. Go for the older model.. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the JTS is pretty good - sounds good in my GT - however, I have not had a TS to compare it with. I think it would be even better post remap which would probably bring the power up to what it is quoted at!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts