Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been the proud owner of a 2000 plate GTV 2.0L for just over a month and have to admit to liking the experience.

The only issue I have (well after the water in the footwell) is that the can bog down away from junctions (is this standard) and when accelerating it can sometimes feel a bit stepy if you understand the term.

It feels like its not pulling and then comes alive, its not a big problem and im sure my partner wouldnt even notice it, but having been around cars for awhile now you get to feel what isnt quite right.

Do you think this could just be caused just by old spark plugs as i dont know when they were last changed and im sure if they have it hasnt been that offen when you need 8...

Or

Something a bit more serious, any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

I am no expert but I had a similar problem on my GTV V6 just after I bought it. The symptoms were similar to yours, at about 4-5000rpm it felt like I'd lifted off for a bit when I hadn't and was then a sluggish after that. I had the MAF, which sort of senses the air flow in to the engine, changed and it was like having a new car. They are over £100 for the V6 but I think cheaper for the 2.0L, plus fitting.

Hope this helps and your improvement is as good as mine was.

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
Hi bj,

Welcome to the forum - I'm sure there will be people here to help.

If this problem is occuring at low revs (it seems from your description that it is) then it is quite common. Even after three years I can still be embarassed pulling away if I am not careful - sitting there with my foot down waiting for something to happen. Keep the revs up is the answer - all about technique really.

No harm in have a diagnostics check to put your mind at rest though.

If you are having problems above about 3k revs then it is likely to be the MAF (airflow meter) which is about £150 fitted.

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm not sure if it's any help in your case (and perhaps a little too early for me to tell for definate) but I had my cam belt and variator changed a couple of days ago and acceleration / engine in general is definately smoother so far..

I used to get that sensation slightly (only at low revs, e,g when taking off from a junction) the feeling that the car was slightly keener in steps through the rev range. Maybe that's what your experiencing. The cam belt/variator change has made a difference in smoothness, so I am thinking it could have been to do with the problem with the variator being knackered (was damn noisy at startup anyway) and the VVT not working well in certain areas of the rev range... just a thought.

As charliedart says if your experiencing it a bit more severely at the higher revs it could be the MAF or something else.

I've never had that type of feeling with my car over 3k revs so can't really comment, from then on it's always been smooth, over 4k I get nice boost in power (makes me grin :D )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, the problem is at low revs and its more of a smoothness issue if the bogging down is just normal for the car.

The variator is on the way out as its making a diesel noise and the belts need doing in 5k so hopefully that will get rid of it.

Ps, I have to change a rear hub tomorrow, does anyone know the torque for doing up the nut?

Thanks again

·
Registered
43 Posts
On a slightly different subject.

Is the performance boost above 4000rpm that I keep reading about only on phase 2 engines?

I have a 1996 TS GTV, which does not improve above 4000rpm, unlike the 1999 145 Cloverleaf I once test drove.

·
Registered
435 Posts
From what I remember, the phase 2 actually peaks in torque output lower than the phase 1 (around 3,500 rpm vs 4,000 rpm for phase 1)

If you are not getting a surge at around that rpm, I'd suspect MAF issues also. I have a 96 the same as yours and almost bang on 4,000 you can feel her powering on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts