Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
There was RHD converted one on sale in Dublin a few years ago, someone on here was the owner, no idea where it went after that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been offered one in part exchange against another car I'm selling and not sure what to think!

I've owned various GTVs previously, most recently an early PH2 3.0 V6

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
Just remember that it only exists because of Italy's high tax on cars over 2L

Even Ferrari had a 2L Turbo version of the 308 (the 208). And just found out today that they also had a very slow non-turbo 208 for a while...

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
Ive heard there not as good as just the standard 3.0L V6
The Turbo didn't get the Brembos.

They were for people that didn't want to (or couldn't) pay the higher tax rate.
There were quite a few 2L Turbo versions of Italian cars at the time.

Don't think anyone does them now. I don't know if the tax regs changed or just that smaller engines got better.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ive heard there not as good as just the standard 3.0L V6
It's basically the same engine, so it is as good or as bad as any busso... if it got treated well, it will be a good engine. If not, it won't, just like any other engine...

But... the TB engine is a bit more sensitive ignition wise. You need good sparkplugs and leads. Any less then perfect ignition or part will show up as a dip in the performance. Standard leads will only last for 2 or 3 years and need to be replaced. Get yourself some big hi end Magnecor leads and Denso iridium plugs. Replace rotor. Check camshafts for wear. Also, the turbo air intake channel is very long, make sure there are no leaks.

Always make sure the oil level is at max. ALWAYS. Check at least every week and fill it up to max. If you are familiair with the engine, you can actually hear and notice when the oil level is a bit below max. It will start to sound raw. If done proper, the engine will sound as a well oiled sowing machine. Make sure the engine is warmed up when you give it a good workout. If used intensive, don't turn it off but make sure the turbo can cool down with the engine running so it will get oil.

So it's not less then any other busso, it just needs some more attention ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To those saying they'd like one, I can point you in the direction of this one if you like as I think I'm going to have to pass on the px offer!

Don't know the full details yet, but it's going for in the region of £1000

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Turbo didn't get the Brembos.

They were for people that didn't want to (or couldn't) pay the higher tax rate.
There were quite a few 2L Turbo versions of Italian cars at the time.

Don't think anyone does them now. I don't know if the tax regs changed or just that smaller engines got better.
It'd make perfect sense over here where it's 1500 a year on the 3l and 700 a year on the twinspark. 3l performance (and a lot more with tuning) for 2.0 tax

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
They made perfect sense at the time, and still do in certain Euro country tax regimes.

When they are running well (and with a few simple mods) they can be very, very good - but they are far trickier to keep running in tip-top condition than either the equivalent 2.0TS or 3.0V6

IIRC Bell Colville converted 10 to RHD back in the day.... I wouldnt touch a converted car TBH, but an original LHD car would be very nice.

Even rarer is the 2.0V6 Spider - there was one made for every Italian dealer (and only sold originally in Italy, about 180 in total I think)... theres one for sale here locally in NL and it looks lovely :)

·
Registered
12,405 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
The one in question will be offered by Paul bagnall aka baggs2
I never had a problem with the guy but I believe some of you may have ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts