Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Hi All.

Long story short, 2 Alfa coupe's are proving to be too costly to keep going so reluctantly I have to let the GTV go.

Right now it's MOT has expired, the timing belt is due and it needs a couple of odd jobs doing including a coolant hose and a cleanup of the floorpan. The corrosion isn't bad but needs to be dealt with now.

Loads of work done and loads of new parts including the clutch, strut top bearings and radiator. The rear suspension was rebuilt with all new powerflex bushes.

The downside is the paintwork is horrific, it has had a poor respray on the rear quarter in the past and it shows. The front bonnet also looks like it has been buffed with a wire brush.

What would I be looking at for value as the car is now and how much more would it be worth if I replaced the cambelt, sorted the odd jobs and renewed the MOT?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I think: £500 as it is, £800 with a mot, £1000 with major service but never more if the paint is bad and it's rusty.
Where abouts are you as I might be keen on a ropey looking gtv with good mechanicals.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
No way will you get £500 with no Mot imo. You may get £800 with a full mot but rubbish paint will always put the punters off.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Without MOT the reality is its only worth scrap and we buyanycar list similar examples as £110-150.

...Sorry mate! :( just my opinion.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Couple of hundred quid with the wind behind you as it is, and probably not worth the spend on all that work, as there are plenty of reasonable examples out there for not alot of money.
Only last year, I saw a cracking red GTV (saw it at side of road, and it sold quickly). It had FSH, new cam belt, New MOT, slightly pink but ok...£750.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you went to Alfa day on Sunday you could see the "extinction" rate of Alfa's... 1 33, few Suds, couple 164,s, few 155..not many 156,s.... and a few classics and lots of "Modern" Alfas...If you check out "how many left" on the net you can see the decline rate of GTV's. I think once they are down to "extinction level" the price of the remaining few will rocket as with all previous GTV models

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I'd be very interested if this is a sub £200 car. Rear suspension and new clutch are more important to me than good paint. Is it in Aberdeen? Would cost more to collect than buy unfortunately for myself.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Yes it is in Aberdeen.

I won't be letting the car go for scrap value, that's for sure. I have put many hours into the car (Did all the work myself). I'll put an MOT on it, replace the timing belt, strip and seal the floorpan and clean it up. If I get £800 for it after spending £250 then I will be happy.

Reactions: MalcQV and Mitch916

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have the car. I went to start the timing belt job the other week and started following corrosion and found that the sills have rotted out under the covers.

I can't imagine the car is worth much at all so I am now going to be breaking it (reluctantly). Keep an eye on here for when I start, I have a lot of good parts to sell. Please don't PM me yet as my pm box is almost full.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts