Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question really can I simply replace my rear box that fell off the other day, with a pipe ?
There seems to be change in performance or noise etc.
But maybe that's because its been leaking for ages?
Anyway having a read last week I saw posts online saying a straight bit of pipe does the trick and other posts that said different.
Car didnt cost me much and the price of a back box is pretty high and money I cant really afford at the moment so if I can avoid buying a box I will.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

its 2.0L year 2000

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Buy a cheap one (non OE) off eBay. You can replace the rear section with a straight through exhaust that has no rear silencer but these will cost you a few hundred quid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheapest one on ebay is about 120 plus delivery.
I can get a piece of steel pipe flanged at one end for under 20.
thanks for reply

·
Registered
413 Posts
Got a good as new OEM rear section available if you're interested? (cost £170 when I had it fitted). Replaced it with a Ragazzon section last week...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
780 Posts
You certainly don't need a silencer on the rear section (iirc the middle silencers are the silencers that make the most difference to noise suppression) but I still wouldn't go too cheap and just weld on any old pipe.

Just try and source a cheap straight through rear section with no silencer and I reckon you will be better off for it in the long run. Usually a cheap solution, means a cheap result and more money spent down the line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You certainly don't need a silencer on the rear section (iirc the middle silencers are the silencers that make the most difference to noise suppression) but I still wouldn't go too cheap and just weld on any old pipe.

Just try and source a cheap straight through rear section with no silencer and I reckon you will be better off for it in the long run. Usually a cheap solution, means a cheap result and more money spent down the line.
Thats what i was hoping , it sounds fine without the rear box.
Its broke at the rear weld on the rear box so theres a few inches of straight pipe,
I was just going to something similar to this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expanded-...esale_GL&var=590320106792&hash=item43cb30c924

and weld a hook on the end and clamp it on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
they are way over silenced which is a cruel irony for a characterful Italian sportscar - I think I counted 5 boxes last time I was under - already removed one behind CAT and prob will rear box or one of centers too as and when they succumb to the elements - still cant hear it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reading up on other exhaust threads and also from the write up at the Alfaholics website section detailing their exhaust products for the GTV/Spider there is a suggestion that not having the transverse silencer in the rear section causes boominess/droning when cruising?

Looking at the Remus shown via the link in post #10 it seems to retain the transverse box but loses the final small silencer near the tail pipe.

Also spotted this on Ebay- from a German company called Friedrich Motorsport in stainless – anyone know anything about them? Looks quite similar to the Remus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360509086320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Registered
780 Posts
Reading up on other exhaust threads and also from the write up at the Alfaholics website section detailing their exhaust products for the GTV/Spider there is a suggestion that not having the transverse silencer in the rear section causes boominess/droning when cruising?

Looking at the Remus shown via the link in post #10 it seems to retain the transverse box but loses the final small silencer near the tail pipe.

Also spotted this on Ebay- from a German company called Friedrich Motorsport in stainless – anyone know anything about them? Looks quite similar to the Remus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360509086320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Its not the removal of the transverse silencer which causes the 'boomiess', its more to do with the replacement option. The box that is used to replace the transverse should be chambered rather than simply a straight-through perforated tube as they do nothing to remove the lower frequencies.

So you certainly can get a straight-through system (ie, no transverse silencer) that wont drone, just make sure it has chambered silencers and you'll be fine.

This info was taken from the Wizard himself;
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/323979-gtv-exhaust.html

(See post #18)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its not the removal of the transverse silencer which causes the 'boomiess', its more to do with the replacement option. The box that is used to replace the transverse should be chambered rather than simply a straight-through perforated tube as they do nothing to remove the lower frequencies.

So you certainly can get a straight-through system (ie, no transverse silencer) that wont drone, just make sure it has chambered silencers and you'll be fine.

This info was taken from the Wizard himself;
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...lfa-gtv-and-916-spider/alfa-...v-exhaust.html (GTV Exhaust)

(See post #18)
Interesting stuff!

I am interested in this thread as when I bought my car the exhaust was on its way out. I now have a ‘three quarters’ (i.e. front pipe, sport cat and centre section) Alfaholics system with only the rear section original.

The car is still pretty quiet though and it would be nice to have a bit more noise without getting silly.... does anyone have any recommendations for replacing the rear section to get this result? Would one of the Ragazzons without any silencers be suitable?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
With what you have already, an unsilenced rear section will not be chavtastically loud, it will just give you a nice subtle burble on tick over, no drone whilst cruising and a nice rasp when you give it the beans.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Interesting stuff!

I am interested in this thread as when I bought my car the exhaust was on its way out. I now have a ‘three quarters’ (i.e. front pipe, sport cat and centre section) Alfaholics system with only the rear section original.

The car is still pretty quiet though and it would be nice to have a bit more noise without getting silly.... does anyone have any recommendations for replacing the rear section to get this result? Would one of the Ragazzons without any silencers be suitable?
I would do what Swallow has suggested and get a straight pipe rear section with no silencer. The rear silencers barely do anything anyway (other than restrict performance) so with a decent front/cat/centre combo like you have, an unsilenced rear section would do just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With what you have already, an unsilenced rear section will not be chavtastically loud, it will just give you a nice subtle burble on tick over, no drone whilst cruising and a nice rasp when you give it the beans.
I would do what Swallow has suggested and get a straight pipe rear section with no silencer. The rear silencers barely do anything anyway (other than restrict performance) so with a decent front/cat/centre combo like you have, an unsilenced rear section would do just fine.
Thanks for the advice – the Alfaholics bits were 'sit down/have a large drink/be vague with the other half' expensive but very good quality and fitted perfectly. Not sure if fitting them gave any extra horses but those that were there already seem to breathe more freely and are more eager to respond when asked.....!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts