Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 1996 2 litre GTV & I'm in the process of overhauling / upgrading some areas of the car, one area being the brakes.

I've got some Tarox discs & pads to fit but I'd also like to fit some new stainless steel braided hoses as well.

Has anyone found a manufacturer / supplier that can offer braided hoses for the 2 litre GTV?

I've found hoses for the 3 litre car & have been told that they will fit a 2 litre as well but I know that the 3 litre cars have Brembo calipers on the front & am not sure if the hoses will be the same.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Stuart.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know this doesn't help the thread but i'm due to replace my brake hoses in the near future - so there definitely is an outcry for some tips in this area...

I've been looking at this pair from Autodelta - anyone have any experience or thoughts?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You could try Motorsport World - Performance Car Parts they only appear to have them for the v6 on t'internet but might be worth a phone call.

They don't really deal with the wooden feel of the brakes. I upgraded my discs, pads and got braided brake lines all at the same time and the brakes still had a lot of pedal travel and very progressive biting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had them put on my 3 litre a few months ago as the rubber ones at the front had worn out. The difference was immediatly noticable and banished the spongy brake pedal feel. The pedal is now rock solid! I got mine from Alfaholics(http://www.alfaholics.com/parts_by_car/gtv__spider/performance_brake_parts/). The guys there are really helpful if you give them a ring and will probably be able to tell you if they're suitable for the 2 litre or not. It's worth noting that I had new brake fluid put in too which helped.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I had them put on my 3 litre a few months ago as the rubber ones at the front had worn out. The difference was immediatly noticable and banished the spongy brake pedal feel. The pedal is now rock solid! I got mine from Alfaholics(http://www.alfaholics.com/parts_by_car/gtv__spider/performance_brake_parts/). The guys there are really helpful if you give them a ring and will probably be able to tell you if they're suitable for the 2 litre or not. It's worth noting that I had new brake fluid put in too which helped.
I put new brake fluid in as well but didn't notice a massive improvement... certainly not compared to driving a 156 where after about 1/4 travel you're through the windowscreen.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for your input & all the info.
Tried EB spares & they said they wouldn't supply braided hoses for a 2.0 litre because of the way they are routed - it's not safe when the steering's on full lock!! Hmmm.....
Also tried Motorsport World but they said I'd have to send my existing hoses to Goodridge to be copied as they only had hoses available for the 3.0 litre car. Takes about 10 days for them to do it!
So I'll give Autodelta & Alfaholics a try on Tuesday & post how I get on.
Cheers everybody!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FOUND THEM! :)

Alfaholics only had them available for 3.0 litre cars but Autodelta came up trumps - gave them a call, very helpful & said yes, they had them in stock for a 2.0 litre GTV. Ordered a set & should get them in a couple of days.

Thanks Scheimann for your Autodelta link!

Thanks too to everybody else for your input.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Thanks guys for your input & all the info.
Tried EB spares & they said they wouldn't supply braided hoses for a 2.0 litre because of the way they are routed - it's not safe when the steering's on full lock!! Hmmm.....
Also tried Motorsport World but they said I'd have to send my existing hoses to Goodridge to be copied as they only had hoses available for the 3.0 litre car. Takes about 10 days for them to do it!
So I'll give Autodelta & Alfaholics a try on Tuesday & post how I get on.
Cheers everybody!
Yes.. this is the kind of "stoopid "you quite often hear from the trade. EB should know better.

Goodridge can work off a drawing. You only have to tell them what end-fittings you have and what length you want (I got some for my P4 that way) so again.. "send the hoses" is a load of cobbolars.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I had my braided hoses made up for me at BGC Motorsport. They fitted perfectly and are far far better than the OE hoses, which were admittedly shot to pieces anyway. Certainly one of the best upgrades you can do to the braking system on these cars: all the OE discs, pads, hoses, (as well as the suspension), is all totally and utterly dire on these cars imho.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes.. this is the kind of "stoopid "you quite often hear from the trade. EB should know better.

Goodridge can work off a drawing. You only have to tell them what end-fittings you have and what length you want (I got some for my P4 that way) so again.. "send the hoses" is a load of cobbolars.

Ralf S.
Exactly what I was thinking.

EB were quite willing to supply me some hoses when we went in about 3 months ago :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts