Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've enjoyed reading through the various rituals for starting as it takes me back 35 years to when I had various carb equipped alfas as daily drivers. I stumbled across a weird solution. I replaced the standard gold lodge 4 electrode spark plugs with single electrode plugs (not long reach). These enabled much better starting BUT started to burn out after about 4-5k. As plugs were dirt cheap in those days changing plugs more frequently wasn't much of an issue. Spark plug technology (and price) has moved on a lot since then so it's not such a thing now. Fortunately my Spider is an S4 so starts first time provided the battery hasn't run down. Purists may love twin webers but I'll take the bosch injection any time

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Hi there,

I am new to this forum - so firstly hello!!

I have the same problem with my twin Weber 40’s on my Nord 2.0. Mine often requires easy start to get going. Once going it is fine - even if I leave it for a couple of days. I have tuned my carbs, checked strength of spark and checked the fuel
lines already. My plan of action is:
1) check for general fuel leaks (again!!) and filters (carb and fuel line) are clear (they are)
2) I suspect that the non-return valve in the fuel pump is leaking over time causing the fuel to drain down and It then takes a lot of cranking to get fuel to the carbs again. So I will probably swap my fuel pump out.
3) final option is to fit a hi torque starter motor in case I am entering a cycle whereby by the time the fuel is at the carbs, the starter is drawing down on the battery and reducing the spark - I.e. at the start, good spark and crank but no fuel, after significant cranking, there is fuel but weaker cranking and spark...

I hope this is of interest.
Hi lol, welcome to the forum, no way should you need easy start, its not good for your engine either, we all use different techniques to get ours started, whats your technique? - some need choke, some need pumping and feathering (like mine) and others churning, have you checked the pump, take the carb inlet pipe off and put it in a container and get someone to turn the key, ignition coil disconnected of course, its should produce a good pulse of fuel. Are your idle mixture screws set right, too lean and it can be a pig to start. Its best to start with basics and eliminate each one as you go, Sparks fuel and air

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I have always accepted difficult starting, especially after the car has been left a while and if the last time it was run was an 'enthusiastic' one. I put poor starting down to evaporation of the fuel in the float chambers and that you have to crank the engine quite a bit to get fuel back up to refill them. I suspect if I actually took the time to fit an electric pump, poor starting would be something others have.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts