Alfa Romeo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Ok guys, time for an update:

Meanwhile all parts are in to complete the GTB conversion.

Checking the new CNC made downpipe conical ring for inside transistion:

The complete stainless steel downpipe incl. nut for oxygen sensor:

CNC machined comp outlet flange, designed to be as short as possible and with conical bore:

The complete GTB assembly including downpipe, oil return pipe, comp outlet flange and welded comp housing:

Oil return pipe partly visible here:

Also I figured out the turbo intake side.
The idea is to use the standard airbox because it's imo the best balance between flow and filtration, isn't noisy and has the best air intake position.
So I used the turbo template and some oem parts to determine the position of the airbox relative to the turbo, and mounted the box to my table.

After that I swept the oem turbo with the GTB to see what it will look like in the car. So I started to make the new turbo intake pipe:

This is a temporarely solution with the OEM maf, I will install a 80mm maf from a V6 or 2.4 20v later when the remap will take place so the volt-airflow relation can be fixed. Also a 18mm breather pipe has to be welded on.

Hopefully next week I find some time to build the GTB and FMIC in my car. To be continued (this is getting more like a project topic)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Perfect as usual, Joel :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Ok guys, time for an update:

Meanwhile all parts are in to complete the GTB conversion.

Checking the new CNC made downpipe conical ring for inside transistion:

The complete stainless steel downpipe incl. nut for oxygen sensor:

CNC machined comp outlet flange, designed to be as short as possible and with conical bore:

The complete GTB assembly including downpipe, oil return pipe, comp outlet flange and welded comp housing:

Oil return pipe partly visible here:

Also I figured out the turbo intake side.
The idea is to use the standard airbox because it's imo the best balance between flow and filtration, isn't noisy and has the best air intake position.
So I used the turbo template and some oem parts to determine the position of the airbox relative to the turbo, and mounted the box to my table.

After that I swept the oem turbo with the GTB to see what it will look like in the car. So I started to make the new turbo intake pipe:

This is a temporarely solution with the OEM maf, I will install a 80mm maf from a V6 or 2.4 20v later when the remap will take place so the volt-airflow relation can be fixed. Also a 18mm breather pipe has to be welded on.

Hopefully next week I find some time to build the GTB and FMIC in my car. To be continued (this is getting more like a project topic)
wow that is looking very good, your attention to detail and fabrication work is very impressive, looking forward to the next update already.:thumbs:

·
Registered
562 Posts
tomorrow was yesterday...^^ how are things coming along ?

:thumbs:

BTW: is it possible to get the measurements which lead to your "Template"?
i can't afford to strip the car since i've only verry limited time for such work (only 1 day a week maximum) plus the car has to drive the rest of the week ;)

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
tomorrow was yesterday...^^ how are things coming along ?

:thumbs:

BTW: is it possible to get the measurements which lead to your "Template"?
i can't afford to strip the car since i've only verry limited time for such work (only 1 day a week maximum) plus the car has to drive the rest of the week ;)
Well, I've had a different issue coming along in the form of a P0203 error, probably caused by the mechanic that replaced my intake manifold. But I hope I fixed it now.

A template you shouldn't make from measurements, but with original parts. Only that way you will be certain it fits.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, I've had a different issue coming along in the form of a P0203 error, probably caused by the mechanic that replaced my intake manifold. But I hope I fixed it now.

A template you shouldn't make from measurements, but with original parts. Only that way you will be certain it fits.
yeah i know already got a spare manifold... but i could need that "mounting" Plate you use to "simulate" the engine block.... :(

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Thats odd, injectors didn't had to be unplugged for replacing the manifold..
Didn't he damage the wiring?
I don't believe the wiring is damaged, I unplugged the injectors and ECU, sprayed the connections with WD40 and put it back together. It seems it solved the problem for now...

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
availability, price, etc.

Wd40=macguyver ;-)
Sometimes injector connectors can get a bit loose. They are soldaat seperately from the wiring harnes.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
What advantage does the GTB2056 have over fitting the turbos/manifold from a twin turbo, JS ?
Simplicity, compactness, costs, time.
And probably the performance potential is not that different...

Allerd said:
Wd40=macguyver ;-)
Sometimes injector connectors can get a bit loose. They are soldaat seperately from the wiring harnes.
I'm afraid I don't understand this.
Unfortenately the P0203 error returned and stopped me from doing the planned fmic build today... :mad:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Are the damping masses still on the rigid piping for the injectors ?
The pulsating vibrations transmitted by the stiff injector piping adversely affects the connectors.
There is a partno for a connector with a piece of wiring connected , but can't seem to find it..
I might have a used connector lying around ;)

121 - 140 of 180 Posts