Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out earlier and it was great, found it went better if i turned the asr off and let the Q2 work its magic and didn't get stuck once :). Maybe its because there is so much weight over the front tyres but i haven't got winter tyres or anything else on the car and it was just great. I did feel the abs kick in for a brief second or 2 when i braked slightly too hard but that was my fault :)

Went over some grass/mud and got a little bit stuck as the car had built up quite a big wall of snow up the front bumper so just rolled it back enough to get enough momentum so it could get up and over that and it just carried on like it was a normal day out.

GTA - 1 weather - 0 :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Agreed mate, the GTA is great in the snow :cool:

Before I got Maud, I ran the GTA in the snow and it was very well behaved. The weight of the engine certainly helps traction, and with so much torque from the V6, I was able to pull away on hills just on the clutch, thus not inducing any wheel spin :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last year my cousin had a 3 series and we were on our way to his house. He lived at the top of a pretty steep hill so i asked if he want a lift up and leave his car where it was. He said no he'd be alright so i drove up and a few minutes later i saw him walking round the corner looking red faced and out of breathe :lol:

Should go out and have a little drive while the roads are pretty quiet and i think you'll be surprised how good they are :thumbs:

·
Registered
580 Posts
My GTA snow adventure started on Saturday afternoon. Was in the Midlands (inlaws), so got my MOT done at the same time by those superb guys at Simply Alfas. Left their garage at about 2.30pm, the snow had already started...Picked the wife and son up from her brothers house nearby but then her aunt wanted to see the baby before we headed back to Manchester..Didn't leave until 5pm and now it was dark and getting heavy, (Despite my warnings that we really need to leave early).

As she lives so close to the West Brom ground as we left, disaster....we first got stuck in huge football traffic (great timing not...) of all the fans/cars etc leaving the ground...(Have you seen where the fans park around, there? on top of the roundabouts etc..!)

Finally got on the M5 /M6 (after about (what felt like about 45 mins), even though she lives literally 2 mins away from the junction))..Motorway had plenty of snow in all lanes, 3rd lane a no no...Normally I would be enjoying this but not with our baby in the car! The GTA did make me feel confident though, tyres are all new and Q2 is superb. Luckily most drivers were sensible and it was 40-50 mph keeping good distance up the M6 but only using lanes 1 and 2.

Saw 1 car spin on the other side and a couple of other cars slammed against the barrier!

Nearing Stafford we got the signs I was dreading...junction 18 and 19 closed...:(

Now normally I would love getting off at junction 17 (Holmes Chapel, the country roads around there I know quite well and is made for the GTA especially with Q2) but it was dark and snow was getting quite heavy, some cars were even stuck, no road lighting and I was having to overtake a few very, very slow cars in tight spaces etc.. Thank god for the xenons (and had to put the foggys on too)..I have to admit I was kind of enjoying it but at the same time you never know what other cars are going to do so it was scary.. snow was still coming down quite hard, I knew there was 1 more country road stint to get to Alderely Edge. I decided NOT to take it (due to risk of getting stuck in no mans land) and carried on towards Knutsford as the roads had more car volume so roads not so covered..We were tempted to stop at one of the lovely looking hotels however we got to Knutsford passing the superb Mclaren Garage and eventually M56/M60 which luckily was more rain than snow now...thank you Manchester!

FINALLY got home and the journey time was 3 1/2 hours (which would normally be 1 hour 10 mins!)..Have to say was really impressed with the GTA on such a long stint in terrible weather and a mix of motorway, country B roads and A roads. It was so comfortable and gave me every confidence on such a long drive. So lucky we were not in the wifes BMW!

Sorry for the long report, gutted didn't get any photos on the way...but my wife was too scared too!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
they are good as long as the asr is off, otherwise the car will try to kill you! like it did for me last year

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was very impressed driving back from Runcorn to Manchester in the bad snow last year, all 3 lanes of the M56 were covered, don't think I went faster than 30mph the whole way but the huge torque helped so much to get me safely back home :) (apart from one near miss from another driver on the A56 Chester Road hill near Jct 11 :eek:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts