Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not another what spec are they, or even how much are they worth...

...Just why are they so bloody easy to kerb?! And why is it such a painful noise when it happens?? :cry: When I picked up my 147, there was quite a heavy kerb mark on the drivers side front wheel, across the face of one of the 'dials' - if you will - and today? I managed to effectively rub the entire top of a dial off as I royally buggered up attempting to park.

I can't even blame a stray dog, black ice or even diesel for my coming together with said kerb, I just know I have a ruined alloy and dented ego :(

I had planned on getting them refurbished eventually to remove the original kerbing, but this has sort of sped the process up...question I pose is, do I have them refurbished in OE silver, the anthracite they are in now, or a 'shadow chrome' powdercoat? Fully understand that its my car, my choice, but just wondering what the general consensus is on wheel colour?

Picture of the cars current set-up:

And the chrome powdercoat, as modelled on a friends Golf GTi:

Also, can anyone recommend anywhere that can refurbish wheels to a high standard around London?

So in summary...kind of a pointless post, just felt the need to have a bit of a rant and share the embarrassment :lol:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I've been thinking about getting my 18" GTs done in powder coat chrome - think that would look :cool:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Nice job on the brakes. :thumbs:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...now I'm further confused having seen those bright silver ones! I really like the stealthy look the anthracite and cosmos give together, but part of me fancies a change.

And I wouldn't wish it on anyone! As soon as I heard it start to grate I just thought 'oh no, this is going to be bad'.*

*Bad language may have been omitted from this sentence :lol:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
i went with the silver becuase i don't think dark wheels would have suited the colour of my car for some reason. they are brighter silver than the standard colour the wheels were originaly :)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Totally understand, the wife did mine so she paid for a refurb :D

M

·
0 Posts
I got mine refurbed in bright silver as I wanted to keep the car as original as possible, but I never liked the dull silver of the factory finish. Mine look very similar to LJ's.

However, I think the anthracite would look great aginst the cosmos blue :cool:...............as would bright silver :thumbs:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think a brighter silver suits dark cars better. I intend to get mine done in the next couple of months and have a colour similar to the door handles.

·
Premium Member
7,301 Posts
No, not another what spec are they, or even how much are they worth...

...Just why are they so bloody easy to kerb?! And why is it such a painful noise when it happens?? :cry: When I picked up my 147, there was quite a heavy kerb mark on the drivers side front wheel, across the face of one of the 'dials' - if you will - and today? I managed to effectively rub the entire top of a dial off as I royally buggered up attempting to park.

I think the type of tyres you use also make a difference.... Some makes have a special protection against kerbing....(extra thick rubber ring)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I always drop the passenger mirror right down when I reverse or parallel park so I can see exactly where the alloys are in respect to the kerb

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My 156 gta is cosmos blue and i have toyed with the idea of anthracite wheels but this mock up photo kindly done for me by someone on here (sorry but i forget who) swayed me to keep them silver :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I always drop the passenger mirror right down when I reverse or parallel park so I can see exactly where the alloys are in respect to the kerb
I had to fit blind spot mirrors as the mirror doesn't drop enough to see the wheel unless I sat on the centre console.

But a GTV is worse then the GTA with it's huge blind spots.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts