Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What spec oil would you guys recommend for my GTA ?:)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
What spec oil would you guys recommend for my GTA ?:)
75W-90 GL5

There are some threads with arguments whether to use GL4 or GL5 spec, but as spec GL5 covers everything as GL4 and adds some protection for hypoid gears, I would say why not use it anyway.

·
3,202 Posts
I do have Q2 and all is fine.

I used the same spec for Twin Spark 5 speed and GTA 6 speed box, Mobil 1 and Castrol TAF-X, both 75W-90 GL5 spec and both boxes are smooth and fine.

With TS I had problems to go from 2nd to 3rd gear at high revs so at 50k miles I changed the gearbox oil to Mobil 1 and it definitely got smooth and perfect. The car has now almost 100k miles and the box is still perfectly smooth on this oil.

With GTA I changed it only before about 5k miles and nothing bad or extraordinary good to report. Oil just does its job.

A

·
0 Posts
Actually, GL5 does not provide protection for yellow metals used in the syncros, so it should be GL4 spec. That is to say GL5 standard can use some chemicals that might, in time, ruin yellow metals, but it does not have to contain such chemicals.
Some synthetic GL5 can be used as well, just need to be careful when ordering, read the label.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Redline MT90 would be a good choice.

A

·
0 Posts
It sure would, but the prices are crazy, the Redline is more than decently priced in USA, but in Europe it's like twice the price at least.

·
3,202 Posts
Actually, GL5 does not provide protection for yellow metals used in the syncros, so it should be GL4 spec. That is to say GL5 standard can use some chemicals that might, in time, ruin yellow metals, but it does not have to contain such chemicals.
Some synthetic GL5 can be used as well, just need to be careful when ordering, read the label.
Good to know :) The Castrol I use claims to be conforming to GL4 and GL5 so should be fine:
Castrol Universal 75w-90 semi-synthetic gear oil
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...l_Syntrax_Universal_Plus_75W90_DE_2011_06.pdf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts