Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so after spending the last two days in the 156 GTA and 11 months in the 1.4MA G I feel qualified to post some pro's and con's of both cars here. To be honest as much as I love driving the GTA now I do miss the Giulietta.

1. Seats: lateral support the GTA bucket seats wins, but overall comfort the seats of the G wins. A lot softer and more comfortable for longer drives.

2. Road manners :Both stick to corners like glue, but the G takes bumps and speed humps in its stride a lot better than the GTA, and this while the GTA rides on 17" wheels while the G rides on 18".

3. Sound system: I have BOSE in both the cars. To be honest the BOSE in the GTA sounds a little better.

4. Engines : The GTA engine wins this one hands down. It pulls strongly right across the rev range while the G runs completely out of steam at just past 6000 revs and the engine only comes alive at 2500+. The V6 sounds a lot better than the G, but the G still has a nice rasp to it considering it's displacement. I do miss the turbo of the G ( the sudden kick, the spooling and the dump)

5. Attention and road pressence: Both draw a lot of attention, the GTA more for its roar while the G for its rear end.

6. Interior ergonomics : Giulietta wins hands down. It has cup holders, an armrest, storage space etc which the GTA does not have. Both look very stylish inside tho but the G is more practical than the GTA.

If you were to ask me right now which one I would like to take around the block for a spin I would say..........

The Giulietta

I love both cars but do miss the Giulietta

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Good write-up but the last statement is Sacriledge... :cheese: If you lived at sea level, the GTA's performance would leave the Giulietta for dead! My 2.0 TS was as fast as the 125kW multi-air :lol:

You will at one point get comfortable in the GTA. Then you will realise how capable the chassis is. You can even let the tail hang out a bit through corners!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
A GTA is a must have Alfa...despite what everyone says that its not a real GTA or its not quick enough or its not this nor that, i think Brad summed it up brilliantly, its still an Alfa, they made it to be great for what it is.

I can almost understand why you would pic the Giulietta, eveyone with NEW cars will agree that they are just something else, their ergonomics, their comfort and most importantly, the turbo's ease of use...put foot down and the revs climb. I drove the Giulie yesterday, after it burst a radiator pipe, spilled coolant all over the batery and leaving me for dead at a robot having everyone look at me with that "ja, that's what you get for driving an Alfa" look, I finialy dried the batery and got the car started, drove home at a snail's pace and drove it straight into the garage where I took the batery off and left it...didn't even look back at it...it made me DIE MOER IN. I got into the GTi(now has a Forge intake so its dumping like crazy :cheese:) and immediately the creature comforts became aparent...I rushed off to a meeting and then to a scrapyard where I bought the Giuli's parts...there are times for all cars I think. There's a time to drive an oldie, and a time to drive the new cars...your GTA will be a weekend rush, but the G will be the one you drive to work and on long trips because its just like that...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had the choice of coming to the work in the Giulietta or GTA this morning and lets just say the Giulietta stayed home this morning :cheese:

I had to choose, turbo spooling and dumping or V6 roar, the V6 won...

Its not that I am uncomfortable in the GTA, its a fantastic car, but there are certainly things I do miss about the Giulietta.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
A GTA is a must have Alfa...despite what everyone says that its not a real GTA or its not quick enough or its not this nor that, i think Brad summed it up brilliantly, its still an Alfa, they made it to be great for what it is.

I can almost understand why you would pic the Giulietta, eveyone with NEW cars will agree that they are just something else, their ergonomics, their comfort and most importantly, the turbo's ease of use...put foot down and the revs climb. I drove the Giulie yesterday, after it burst a radiator pipe, spilled coolant all over the batery and leaving me for dead at a robot having everyone look at me with that "ja, that's what you get for driving an Alfa" look, I finialy dried the batery and got the car started, drove home at a snail's pace and drove it straight into the garage where I took the batery off and left it...didn't even look back at it...it made me DIE MOER IN. I got into the GTi(now has a Forge intake so its dumping like crazy :cheese:) and immediately the creature comforts became aparent...I rushed off to a meeting and then to a scrapyard where I bought the Giuli's parts...there are times for all cars I think. There's a time to drive an oldie, and a time to drive the new cars...your GTA will be a weekend rush, but the G will be the one you drive to work and on long trips because its just like that...
Radiator trouble is small, man:tut:! Buy some new hoses, clamps and coolant and you should be good to go! You can't let down your first car like that.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Nice review. if you had a 1750 that would be interesting comparison

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The GTA is a brilliant car but they are turning into brilliant old cars so you can not compare it straight up with a new car.
Fortunately you drive a small car so the GTA have a lot to offer in comparison apart from the brilliant Busso.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree turbo the GTA's and Gt's have lovely motors but they are OLD ,when I drive the new BMW and Mercs that are our pool cars one notices the BIG difference like 15 years, dam I was better looking and faster 15years ago also.
But at least the GT still has the looks,not so sure about the 156:rolleyes: but then every one for their own. Nice fun car though at a good price.
Then some drive the 70's GTV's with no ac no power steering , no electric this or that and they love it,so who knows.
I have been using my Gt as a daily for the last 12 months and its no good for modern day , I need an automatic again,so will use it on weekens only now. its no fun to drive 25km in 2hrs in an old alfa.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If you lived at sea level, the GTA's performance would leave the Giulietta for dead!
:thumbs: A GTA at the coast is a completely different animal. Trust me on this:thumbs:

We went up a rather large hill here in PMB some time back, Two 147 GTA's and one Novitec GT. All our passengers were without doubt that it was the fastest trip they had that day;)

Nice review. if you had a 1750 that would be interesting comparison
I reckon Brad would be the best to comment, having owned both. Brad what you reckon?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C'mon Perreby, you need to get a Q2 and sort out the suspension on the GTA. Then you'll see what she is really made of! And as for thinking cupholders and armrests are good things, we might have to take your Alfista badge away from you :lol:

Glad you are enjoying the GTA!

Cheers,

Nigel

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love both cars, just trying to point out both have their pros and cons. Make no mistake the GTA is a lot quicker than the MA, even at altitude... Will probably drive down the GTA to our place at the coast later this month.

As for the armrest and cup holders.. Creature comforts I got used to in the G I guess.

Had the option of going with either the G or GTA to work tomorrow. Taking the GTA.. :)

Point I was trying to make with the comparison is they both Alfas, different beasts and they both have their pros and cons and I don't see the one being less Alfa than the other they both appeal to me as a serious Alfisti and I will probably not sell either of these cars in future.

Almost boiled my brake fluid earlier today while throwing the car about on some private roads. Could feel the brake pedal travelling further and brakes being spongy. All fine now. But want to take the GTA in for a full service... Just in case the previous owner missed something...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
One day you will take that smooth fast sweeping bend in your GTA and pee yourself wet... :D

No I'm kidding. I know the Giulietta is an amazingly capable platform, on Hockenheim's short circuit it ouitperforms both the GT and GTA. By a whole second. And that doesn't come from a power or speed advantage. Both 3.2's are significantly faster than the QV at that track's altitude so the Giulietta QV is deffinitely stronger through the corners. But since the QV has a different suspension sut-up to the MultiAir, I do not know how much better a MultiAir would be. One thing that I can easily vouch for: V6 Alfas don't have as sharp a turn-in as their 4 cylinder counterparts. The V6 lump is heavy!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One day you will take that smooth fast sweeping bend in your GTA and pee yourself wet... :D

No I'm kidding. I know the Giulietta is an amazingly capable platform, on Hockenheim's short circuit it ouitperforms both the GT and GTA. By a whole second. And that doesn't come from a power or speed advantage. Both 3.2's are significantly faster than the QV at that track's altitude so the Giulietta QV is deffinitely stronger through the corners. But since the QV has a different suspension sut-up to the MultiAir, I do not know how much better a MultiAir would be. One thing that I can easily vouch for: V6 Alfas don't have as sharp a turn-in as their 4 cylinder counterparts. The V6 lump is heavy!
Good points, which is why the GTA suspension needs sorting out. A Q2 and better shocks and ARBs improve turn in and help it get the power down. But even then it shows its age - there was an Alfa sprint series in the UK this year, and a 147 GTA was beaten by bog standard 147 diesel.

Cheers,

Nigel

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay thought I would update this thread.

Having driven over 5000km with the GTA now I feel I am better informed to compare it to the Giulietta..

Firstly: I love both cars..

Pros of Giulietta:
Softer ride
Smoother gearbox
Better aircon
Better handling and steering (the GTA turning circle is huge)
Seats are more comfortable (but less supportive when slinging the car around)
Turbo spooling and dump sound!
More fuel efficient than the GTA. So for everyday driving the Giulietta is perfect.

Pros for GTA:
Busso V6 roar is the best sound in the world
For what I paid for the GTA its far better specked than the Giulietta (the GTA has Xenons and Sunroof that the Giulietta doesnt have)
It has far greater road presence. People look and stare and turn heads when you drive past!

Each car has its own character. Things you love and hate about both. But to be honest I cant wait till Friday mornings (Fridays are take GTA to work days). The GTA just stirs the soul a little bit more! That "Fizz" that James May always talks about..

I love both cars to bit and will be hard pressed to sell either of them!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know what you mean about the GTA. I had a 156 GTA in Alfa Red, I now have the G QV. The G QV is faster and handles better, but so it should being a new incarnation. The seats are better, but I do miss the 'ribbed condom' look of the GTA leather.

The biggest difference (and to be honest, one of the more important ones) is the sound both cars make. The GTA exhaust note was simply incredible, enough to stir something even in those watching the car as it drove by. While the Alfa engineers have a done a great job on the engine/exhaust note on the QV, you simply can't 'wring' the same sound out of that wee engine.

I parted with the GTA in 2008 after owning it for around 2 years. I still believe it to be the most beautiful midsize sedan ever made (even over the stunning 159 IMO). In fact, a guy stopped me a while back in my G QV, he was driving a silver 156 GTA and wanted to know my thoughts on the G. That gentleman was in the enviable position of being able to keep the GTA, as well as going on to purchase a new Giulietta 1.4 Multiair (in silver) within a week of speaking to me.

So which car did I find the most rewarding? As I have only had the G for 4 months, I have to go with the 156 GTA, it was simply breathtaking, beautiful, and funnily enough, very reliable.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
ribbed condom look...lmfao!:cheese:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
lets hope they are not comparing a 10 year old ribbed condom to a new one

1 - 20 of 27 Posts