Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen the results, not been to the newsagents yet - any idea what the outcomes is???

g

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alfa wins.

Mag clarifies the positioning of the car - not Alfa's Lancer/Scooby, but a different class of car. So what should they compare it to next then? Maybe a C-Class AMG or something is more like it?

g

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, it was actually lancer evo against 156 1.6. Some victory!

I'm trying to think what other cars the gta rivals if it isn't the Evo. In character (ie. brawn) I'd say the MG75, but I don't know how that compares in terms of price or performance.

The Audi S4? Volvo Turbo S60? or maybe alfa has a real niche car here?

g

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
330 and 330D are direct competitors imo and Lexus are bringing outa performance IS to take it on as well.Along with the Volvo T5,Saab turbo/Viggen and even CL320 Merc the 156 GTA is in a very competetive market imo. (and wins easy!)

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
In Auto Express they put the GTA up against the BMW 330 and WRX STI.The GTA won!The BMW came 3rd,for not being sporty enough to drive!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the new Mazda RX8 when it's finally released next year.

Do your UK mags take into account the pricing when doing the comparisons? I know the UK market has different pricing to the NZ market. For instance here you can get a Evo 7 or WRX STi for about 2/3 the expected price of the 156GTA.

But I think realdriver is right, you can't really compare those Jap rally replica supercars with the GTA. The GTA is a more sophisticated (is this the right word?) car.

Off hand I can't think of any car in the NZ market that would compare directly with the 156GTA - a 4 door M3 perhaps. Even the Lexus IS300 is really only comparable to a 156 V6 auto.

What about the Aussie market?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Originally posted by realdriver:[QB]IMO the GTA and ZT are Sporting cars, the Evos and stuff are performance cars and Beemers and Audis are... erm powerful motorway insulators...

Do I make sense
[/QB]
I think that makes sense RD! I think Evos and the like are just about performance,but require complete commitment to use them and enjoy them.There was an excellent remark in Car magazine a few months ago about being able to enjoy cars when driven at say 7/10thss of their ability rather than having to drive at 10/10ths to appreciate them.How often in reality do we drive like that?
This is where the GTA seems to score over the extreme performance cars.
Evos are probably best for track days,the GTA for the road.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Mike D:[QB]

Do your UK mags take into account the pricing when doing the comparisons? I know the UK market has different pricing to the NZ market. For instance here you can get a Evo 7 or WRX STi for about 2/3 the expected price of the 156GTA.

What about the Aussie market?

Cheers
Mike
[/QB]
Here in Europe, the GTA (and ZT) will go head to head (pricewise) against the Scooby STI prodrive and Evo VII. It is also priced at BMW 330i and well specced Audi A4 3.0 levels. In BMW's line-up, M3 would be the car nearest to the GTA's philosophy and I'm sure it's a better car, but it's way more expensive...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts