Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted Michelin Primacy HP on a GTA ? I have Pilot Sport 3 tyres at the moment, but will need replacing soon. The idea is to go for them again, but thought I will test the water here with regards to the Primacy HP ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think you would be disappointed with the Primacy coming from the PS3 as the Primacy isn't really a sport focused tyre......more a good general all rounder that according to reviews falls a little short in in wet weather conditions :(
Stick with PS3's if you've been happy with them......strictly speaking the PS3 is aimed at heavier high performance cars, M5 type stuff, not that you can't use them on whatever you want really.
Personally i'm using Michelin Pilot Super Sport (though not on a GTA) and find it hard to fault them on a very hot hatch.....lasting a decent length of time too :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Having got PS3's at the mo and having had Goodyear F1Assymetric 2's before that, I will be going back to Goodyear next time. The PS3's I got are supposed to last 20% longer and they are wearing well but they are noisy and give a hard ride. I'm running 18's on GT 3.2 so maybe different if you are on 17's.....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have used:
Federal 595 RSR - Good tyre, grips well from cold and good grip in wet as well. Wore quick though.
Kumho KU36 - Good tyre, grips well, better when warm, and again very well in wet, though had problems getting them warmed up in wet/cold. Wore well, did 5.000+ and 5 track days with them. I will get them again.
Bridgestone Potenza RE 070 - just put them on, they were silly cheap, will know more in a months time hopefully :D

For tires, I use tyre-reviews.co.uk quite a lot, plenty of reviews on there.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
My brother's running pilot supersports on his BMW 3, he can't rate them highly enough. Think he said he also got 30k out of the set (motorway miles), but it is a company car so I can't imagine him giving them any form of sympathy around roundabouts and on slips.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Now on Pirelli Rosso Red which are decent, but will be going back to Michelin Pilot Sport again next time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am very happy with the PS3's I have on now, but may be tempted to give the Goodyear F1's a try, as I've heard only good things about them as well

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I went from Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's to Continental SportContact 5's which were a slight improvement, might try the Asymmetric 3's or if i am feeling flush Michelin Super Sports.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
PS3's have been replaced with PS4's that are supposed to be more performance focused than the PS3.

QUOTE:
With the launch of the Pilot Sport 4, Michelin are aiming to get the Pilot Sport name back on track. The new tyre borrows lessons learnt from both the Pilot Super Sport, and Michelins involvement with the Formula E race series. This has resulted in a tyre which has a much more performance focus than the Pilot Sport 3, but still retails excellent tread life, a strong wet performance and the good levels of comfort we've come to expect from a premium tyre.

Me? I've got a set of F1 Asymmetric 3's going on Monday.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I had the option of Pilot Sport 4's for the fronts on my car recently, and they were cheaper than PS3's, but the OCD in me wanted the new tyres to match the recently replaced rears...so PS3's it was.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have put a set of PS4s on mine recently and im very impressed with the grip in all situations. I paid £376 fitted at F1 online for four.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have put a set of PS4s on mine recently and im very impressed with the grip in all situations. I paid £376 fitted at F1 online for four.
How are they performing on higher speeds??

Had PZero for a short while, was very unsatisfied as they has very soft side walls. Same for Vredestein Sportcontact5 which I have on my daily: roadholding is very bad at higer speeds due to soft walls.
As my dealer then said Michelins were also having quite soft sidewalls, I didnt want to put them on my GTA.
So, long story short (apologies): how do the PS4s perform at higher speeds (100mp/h and above) eg when changing lanes, turn in etc?

As i am considering the PS4 now ad well (mainly based on positive references of the PSS but these are not available in 17")

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
How are they performing on higher speeds??

Had PZero for a short while, was very unsatisfied as they has very soft side walls. Same for Vredestein Sportcontact5 which I have on my daily: roadholding is very bad at higer speeds due to soft walls.
As my dealer then said Michelins were also having quite soft sidewalls, I didnt want to put them on my GTA.
So, long story short (apologies): how do the PS4s perform at higher speeds (100mp/h and above) eg when changing lanes, turn in etc?

As i am considering the PS4 now ad well (mainly based on positive references of the PSS but these are not available in 17")
Whiting lives in Essex....can't think he'll get anywhere near 100mph...M25 has cameras for the over 80's and everywhere else in Essex (and the south-east generally) the roads are too busy to get anywhere near those speeds for more than a second or two...
Anyway, I've heard that the ps4 is more like the ps2 than the ps3 managed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's too bad that you can't enjoy driving at higher speeds.

What do you mean with last sentence really more similar to PS2?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ha ha! Theres still some spots that they havent got too with fixed cameras. I went for the PS4s as they had good reviews and were intended to be more driver focused than the previous generation. I cant say ive had any problems at higher speeds whatsoever and considered the pricing fair for decent rubber.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
That's too bad that you can't enjoy driving at higher speeds.

What do you mean with last sentence really more similar to PS2?
I believe that the ps3 was felt to be slightly biased towards touring miles, whereas the ps2 was the acknowledged market leader in sporting road tyres of the era.

However if, like me, you have had old Pirelli P6000s for originality (now obsolete thankfully, although they did have one of the best looking tread patterns in my view) then even Michellin Primacy tyres will seem much improved on all fronts.

For my 166 I've gone with Michellin Primacy...they have been excellent.

However for the GTA I went for Pilot Sport 4......although there are still two old Pirelli tyres with a stubborn 4-5 mm of tread left which I can't wait to wear out. (This is one reason why any new pairs of tyres should always go on the back...otherwise the old tyres will go on and on, becoming more and more dangerous!)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Is anyone running Michelin Supersports? Opinions?
All 4 of my PS3s are down to the wear markers and It's either Supersports or PS4s.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have Pilot Supersports and they are amazing...the grip is unbelivable when they get up to the temperatue.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Supersports are great, I have them on my 156 GTA track car in 225/40/18

1 - 20 of 27 Posts