Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Whoaa, nice bit of driving there Trailbraker!!!

That was some serious machinery you were dicing with!!:cool:

Is your GTA stock? If so, I want one even more now, cos thats impressive!

BTW, what was the numpty in the black Porsche doing braking in that corner at the end of the vid!! Not what you want when you're closing on him...

Pete

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Might have been a concerned twitch by my passenger allright :lol:
Probably more amused though, hes a trackday regular.

When you see it in slow moo the car snapped 45 degrees or so, about half the width of the rear wheel went on the grass and caused that.
I was pretty awake since I knew it was going to be close since I carried so much speed in but didn't feel like backing off since all that speed would have gone to waste :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No my car isn't stock, would be a gear++ quicker than a normal GTA.

Yes it was a strange place for the Carerra C4S to be braking, but that corner is extremely difficult and fries quite a few brain cells when people get frazzled!

Whoaa, nice bit of driving there Trailbraker!!!

That was some serious machinery you were dicing with!!:cool:

Is your GTA stock? If so, I want one even more now, cos thats impressive!

BTW, what was the numpty in the black Porsche doing braking in that corner at the end of the vid!! Not what you want when you're closing on him...

Pete

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys.

A friend just sent me a clip from the same day where he let me drive his stripped out trackday 2.5 v6 Mazda MX-6 which he has worked on (a lot) in his spare time.
Despite its very modest power (200bhp) its set up with race strength springs and fairly extreme geometry so it suprises a lot of cars out there, it currently weighs about 1000kg due to the amount of stripping out.

It definitely brings home the importance of low weight and handling over power!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c9db60fb-cab3-424f-854a-991e01575ffb.htm

First lap is a bit slow, I am just figuring out the gearing and turn-in points since I have only had a short session in very slippy conditions in the car before , being passed by a Porsche speeds me up a bit though :)
The owner would just have blasted by these two cars, although newcomers to Mondello tend not to be so quick to let the humble looking Mazda by, they keep thinking that they must just have taken the last corner wrong or something and they will soon leave it behind!

Looking at the clips now, I can see now that the 13Kg rear springs allow so much adjustability on turn-in that you can rely on the sideways slipping of the car to act as a brake, and brake much later - not a trick I can replicate in my heavy car - but hopefully the stiff rear anti-roll bar I have ordered should help!

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Another cool vid TB, how many track days do you do in a year?:cool:
Ever though of getting say an old Alfa 75/155/156 and making a track day car?
Cheers
Stu:)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
6-8 track days a year I guess, mostly in the summer but 1 or two are winter ones.

If I was more mechanically skilled what you suggest would be a sensible option, prepare my own track day car.
However I'm not - so it might be a false economy :lol:

I will have to think long term what I will do .
At the moment a few possibilities come to mind :

a) strip out my current car in a couple of years - now that would be a terrifyingly fast car, but the weight balance wouldn't be in its favor and it may turn out to be expensive itself.

b) Get an Elise 111R which is pretty cheap to run as a track day car once you have one, and it still feels/looks like a car.
I don't feel an affinity for the Caterfields great as they undoubtably are.

c) Go racing in cheap as chips Fiat Unos, the most affordable local saloon racing class. Even for Punto Abarths, the class above you need about 25K euro annual budget to compete.

In the meantime, I'll just tune the suspension on my own car a bit more with ARB's and strut braces, geometry changes etc.
It can usefully be made a lot more tail happy.

Cheers,
TB

Another cool vid TB, how many track days do you do in a year?:cool:
Ever though of getting say an old Alfa 75/155/156 and making a track day car?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Maybe you could find a track day Alfa that has had everything already done?
A striped out Supercharged 156 GTA sounds very interesting & expensive, but she would be a proper light weight GTA, just as it should have been.:cool:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EB Spares had Q2 diffs in stock and had one shipped to Ireland very quickly (arrived yesterday), car is booked in for tomorrow but won't be getting it back for a few days since I have a few other small things to sort out before the Ring trip (increase rear camber, front geometry, new radiator)
I don't expect the Q2 diff to be as good on track as the AD one, and definitely not as good in the wet but thought it worth checking out if would last longer in my car, or be easier on the gearbox casing.

I'm hoping it isn't just instantly atomised, which is a possibility ! :lol:

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I guess if you are going to be thinking of the diff as a consumable (every 12 months :eek: ) then the Q2 is a lot cheaper too. ;)

Of course, you are stuck with the labour costs, maybe you need to outsource the fitting to Eastern Europe :D

In any case, big thumbs up on getting a replacement so quickly. :cool:

I don't expect the Q2 diff to be as good on track as the AD one, and definitely not as good in the wet but thought it worth checking out if would last longer in my car, or be easier on the gearbox casing.
TB

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice clip TB! That;s the first time I've watched any of your track clips in full, I'm amazed how well the thing does on such a twisty circuit! And its impressive the car stands up to it so well too, here I am fretting about whether to do any days at all on tracks that are easy on the car like Goodwood!

Your car would be awesome at Goodwood or Donington or similar tracks...

Handy driving too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts