Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting a thread to help me find a GTA SW. Cash waiting.

I've been looking for one of these for months, but cannot find one that is modestly priced / not a shed. My spec is simple. Must be less than 5k and have less than 120k on the clock. In terms of condition anything is acceptable. I don't think i'm asking too much. It must be a wagon, due to ease of transporting baby buggies and associated junk around. The saloon boot is big enough for most jobs, just awkward for getting a buggy in and out of.

I'm currently running a Subaru Legacy GT Twinscroll (Jap market version) which in many ways ticks the same boxes. It was bought as an alturnative to the GTA having needed a car in January after my 156 was written off. It's a great car, goes like a rocket (260hp) and sounds pretty good with the thumping boxer engine, but the interior is terrible and i miss the beat of a Busso. Decided life is a far to short, and want to put an Alfa back on the drive.

Please PM if anyone has one for sale. Cheers. :beer::beer::beer:

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Get a shed, you know it makes sense!

Serious thought - break up value is about £2500 - 3000. I paid that for my shed - and after having £2K in parts thrown at it (and quite a bit of effort), it will probably be less shed-tastic than the average £5K car out there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Get a GT 3.2.

Hatchback, seats fold flat. Probably as much room if not more than a sportwagon. Same engine, transmission, brakes and sound. Better interior, better made, prettier and just as much fun.

There are several on Autotrader that fit your bill at the moment.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a shed, you know it makes sense!

Serious thought - break up value is about £2500 - 3000. I paid that for my shed - and after having £2K in parts thrown at it (and quite a bit of effort), it will probably be less shed-tastic than the average £5K car out there.
Ok, sheds are allowed. I think what i meant to say is, there have been a few for sale this year at 4-5k that were total sheds. That red one on the south coast for instance. I'd happily look at the 'right' shed...

Get a GT 3.2.

Hatchback, seats fold flat. Probably as much room if not more than a sportwagon. Same engine, transmission, brakes and sound. Better interior, better made, prettier and just as much fun.

There are several on Autotrader that fit your bill at the moment.
Thanks for the GT suggestion but there's no chance i'm afraid. Needs to be a 5 door. Children go in and out better! Also, i've had a GT and the styling isn't to my taste.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I might be persuaded to part with my wagon, but it's definitely in the shed category (although relatively low mileage at just over 70k). I've just sorned it as I've too many cars and only one bum. The plan was to run the GT for the next year, during which I might have found time to tinker with the wagon a bit, then sorn the GT and go back to driving the wagon. It needs some work though - mysterious electrical gremlin that might be a knackered alternator or might just be earth straps manifested itself just before I put it on sorn and I've not had a chance to investigate further yet. The big problem is the private plate - GTA 5W - which is kind of wagon specific, but which I wouldn't just sell with the car unless the price reflected that. To transfer it though, I'd have to unsorn, sort out electrics, MOT, insure etc., etc., which is more hassle than I really need right now.

·
Registered
37,859 Posts
Good question :D

EDIT: Just goes to show how GTAs mess with your head, start the thread thinking "Yeah, might be tempted to sell mine, change might be nice, time for a GTV, etc" and bang, six posts later you are thinking "that plate would look nice on my wagon"

Curse you GTA! :rant:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ha ha. I knew I'd open up a can of worms there. I really don't know what either the car or the plate are worth - I hadn't even considered selling until I saw the thread here and wondered whether I was doing the GTA any favours putting it on sorn. Just bad timing with the electrics going weird just as it was coming up for its MOT, and I haven't got the time to tinker with it at the moment. Interesting that you can transfer registrations even if the car's not taxed. You didn't used to be able to do that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Still swithering. I've no idea what the sportwagon's worth, but it would take at least £4k to turn it into a really good one. The plate must be worth a grand, but I'd only sell it if I was also selling the car.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For 5k & < 120k on the clock I'd say you're gonna struggle - & even if you do find one it'll probably need a few quid thrown at it.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Hedge

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Which is pretty much why I disagree with "buy a good car" and instead propose the "shed" approach if you can do the work yourself.

Unless you are spending really top money, any car of this age is going to need fixing, and bringing up to the sort of standard that you want. You will find that the £5K cars still need wishbones fixing, and the brakes are 3/4 used etc - it is inevitable. So you pay shed money, and toss the suspension in the bin, at least all the wearing parts. £1000 later, you've got perfect suspension, perfect brakes, no worries for the next 3 years. Another £500 in parts gets the belt changed, and the engine serviced, new mounts, a bit of exhaust fixing. I'm spending the remaining £500 getting the body work sorted, but at the end of it, I should have a good reliable car for £5k.

If you can't do the work yourself, then it is all different. I don't know how anyone can run a 15 year old car if they are not doing the vast majority of the work themselves!

·
Registered
37,859 Posts
At £5.5K I may be tempted to sell, body wise it's a bit sheddy but heads were done last year, Q2, miles of service history etc

Hmmm.....

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Which is pretty much why I disagree with "buy a good car" and instead propose the "shed" approach if you can do the work yourself.

Unless you are spending really top money, any car of this age is going to need fixing, and bringing up to the sort of standard that you want. You will find that the £5K cars still need wishbones fixing, and the brakes are 3/4 used etc - it is inevitable. So you pay shed money, and toss the suspension in the bin, at least all the wearing parts. £1000 later, you've got perfect suspension, perfect brakes, no worries for the next 3 years. Another £500 in parts gets the belt changed, and the engine serviced, new mounts, a bit of exhaust fixing. I'm spending the remaining £500 getting the body work sorted, but at the end of it, I should have a good reliable car for £5k.

If you can't do the work yourself, then it is all different. I don't know how anyone can run a 15 year old car if they are not doing the vast majority of the work themselves!
I'm not saying you won't find one but I think for a shed you are going to be looking at £4.5k - at £3k it's close to being one that will be a breaker or needing much more than your £2k budget with you doing the work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got mine for 5.5k with 109 on clock and it was in ok condition. Ive now chucked around 4k at it and im not quite at the bodywork yet ( which is ok but not perfect). Heck but i love it! Q2 went in this week as i had a leaky diff seal. Forgot how excellent they feel after the diff swap!

Good look in your search but defo have some money in reserve or drive it into the ground and hopefully push prices up for the rest of us. Rumour has it there worth 20k now!?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For 5k & < 120k on the clock I'd say you're gonna struggle - & even if you do find one it'll probably need a few quid thrown at it.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Hedge
We'll see, I think i'd rather have a 3-4k shed and throw a bit of cash at it, as i can do most of the work myself and know a very good body guy who did my last GTA. I am being patient to be fair, just waiting for the right project at the right money.

I'm in the process of buying a house, which is costing a fair bit so i haven't got loads of free time and cash to at the minute, which is why it has to be a runner.

Osney - Fife isn't too far, would you be interested in a potential sale? Would be hard to offer you anything without more details. Let me know and we can exchange details. :beer:

On another note, I have to say i'm impressed by the Subaru. The lovely thing about it is, because its a got a turbo, you don't have to rev the balls off it to get up some speed. Its got 265bhp and is mapable up to about 290 without changing exhausts etc. Shame these cars where never sold in the UK as I have found getting parts an absolute nightmare. For instance, I needed a new wishbone, its made of alloy and only sold in Japan! Absolute nightmare.

Its the jap equivalent of a GTA sportwagon! Not as nice looking and sounds a bit thuddy if that makes sense. Its not as refined as a GTA IMO. Probably quicker tho as everything is aluminum or alloy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*bump*

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks James. That car is well known to the forum! The miles on it rule it out for me, but this is completely a matter of preference on my part. I'm hoping this is a case of "slowly slowly catchy monkey"!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts