Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to warn everyone up front: this is not going to be a fast moving thread. I've bought a GTA that I really don't need, its going to need work and has a long queue of jobs ahead of it. Not least the 156 V6 that I am restoring with the children's help. They can help me with this as well.

So what have I got? These are Pud's pictures from the ad on pistonheads. Looks nice from this side:

I don't think the caravan is included in the sale, I do hope not. From the other side, er, less good:

So definitely a new door and wing, probably most of the door innards as well, I'd be really surprised if that window works. Pud is including a wing in the sale - needs to be GTA specific. The door is the same as any ordinary 156, and I've got one for £20 on the bay in the right colour. The children's parts car will yield any of the internals that are broken.

The car is a Cat C as a result of the crash - I do struggle to see why, as even professionally fixed it could be done for less than £2K. Getting the wing painted will cost a few hundred, and fitting the door and wing will take about a day to get right.

Other things that are known at this stage - the downpipes are blowing, the radiator is on its way out and the CV boots need doing. Nothing particularly painful in that list. Engine is new-ish, and apparently pulls well.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have swapped car for cash in the Dunlem car park in Warrington. Us Alfa owners are a classy bunch! Done 10 miles to my hotel.

Initial impressions:

It pulls like a train and handles well. Feels a bit nervous compared to my 2.5, might need some alignment. No clonks from the suspension.

There is indeed a blow from the downpipe. There's also a big rattle at idle from the exhaust. I'll have a quick look in the daylight tomorrow, but I only have a suit, so will not be going fixing. The rattle clears soon as you come off idle.

Lots of little niggles - dash lights out, headlights are weird, bits that need fettling.

The run home tomorrow will be noisy - lots of wind noise from the knackered door. I'm very surprised to report that the window works!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazingly it opens and closes. Needs a bit of a shove, but better than impaling yourself on the gear lever as you exit the passenger door. Speaking of gear levers, it has one of those awful short shift conversions, which just makes the shift imprecise. That will be removed at some stage.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well done for buying it, I was hoping it'd be saved :thumbup:

I look forward to the rebuild thread; no doubt I'll be 'borrowing' some of your ideas...

·
Registered
14,992 Posts
As you say, it doesn't look enough to write it off. I can only assume that the price of a new GTA wing is silly money.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Picking up the door in Wigan. I thought it would go through the hatch, but it was too big, so is across the back seats.

Looking at the car properly in daylight, there are many horrors - thankfully easily fixed. Black and silver Alfa stickers over the badges that are nicely peeling at the edges. "Dechromed badging" at the back, except where the dechroming has flaked off. I think that the exhaust rattle is actually the rear engine mount.

I'm used to driving cars with winter tyres on in low temperatures - setting off this morning was interesting, as the tyres are rather close to end of life and a bit slippery in the cold.

·
Registered
14,992 Posts
Doors are always bigger than you expect. I once drove home from a scrapyard with a Capri door in the back of my wife's Nova saloon. The only way it would go in was with the seat fully forward (and I mean fully foward). As a strudy six-footer, I found driving it tricky to say the least.

·
Vendor
45,988 Posts
I think the exhaust rattle is from it just slightly touching the rear roll bar. I'm not sure about that engine mount, I can't remember checking it. If it has dropped a bit, that would also explain the flexi. It wouldn't surprise me if it has gone though, they do take a lot of hammer and some of the pattern replacements are terrible (failing again within a year!)

GTA wings were on backorder with no ETA when this was written off. So it was most likely hire car costs with no end in sight that wrote it off. Alfa have massively jacked up the price of GTA wings, from 200 + vat last year to almost double now, I reckon it won't be long until they are discontinued.

Thats an M-tech short shifter - can't say I'm a fan either. If you need any other bits & bobs just PM me a list and I'll do what I can to help, I might have a standard shifter kicking around, or if your donor is a V6 then that will have one too. Just so pleased that its going to be saved rather than being pulled to bits :thumbs:

Reactions: will01

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, we've made it to Berkshire. 200 miles, nearly all motorway, some traffic, and a fair stretch of open road on the M40.

The engine is stonking. Nothing wrong with it - it seems to have even more grunt than the 3.2 in the GT, but should be the same.

Nothing wrong with the suspension. Handles well, high or low speed. It seems to have stiffer ARBs than the GT, closer to my 2.5 which has the Eibach upgrade. Really very good on the bendy bits between motorways.

Need to get underneath and find the clattery noises. Get some new tyres. And fix the door.

Interesting observation. Tax was more expensive than insurance. That's a bit depressing.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Amazingly it opens and closes. Needs a bit of a shove, but better than impaling yourself on the gear lever as you exit the passenger door. Speaking of gear levers, it has one of those awful short shift conversions, which just makes the shift imprecise. That will be removed at some stage.
when i drove it i thought that quick shifter was just awlful aswell haha. Std shift soo much better.
It seems you feel the same way. :)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
She hasn't noticed yet:

Front to back:

New GTA
GT that I got for £900 with a busted engine. Works
156 V6 that we've had for years, the "commuter bus". Works
Brother in laws 147. SORN.
156 TS - parts car, doesn't work.

Not present in the picture:

155 V6. Works
156 V6 - children's project. Doesn't work (yet).
159 2.4 - her car. Works
Alfetta GTV - works but SORN

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Too late, she's found it. "oh my god you've crashed the car". "I haven't". "The door is all knackered .... oh you git... that's a Sportwagon..."

This has been bugging me ever since I laid eyes on it yesterday, so I had to take a 20 minute break to go and fix it.

At least it was having the decency to fall apart all by itself.

I took the scudetto from the parts car (very easy, 5 x 10 mm bolts), used a spare badge that I already had, cleaned it up and:

More "go faster chicken wire" here. Need the proper bits for this, parts car one is in one piece.

Stick on badges at the back. Why do this when metal inserts are only a few quid more?

The dechroming is, er, peeling.

Side skirt on the other side will need bodyshop attention:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
That's a nice collection, good work :thumbup:

Looking forward to following this thread and seeing the GTA in rude health once more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats for the GTA.
Hope all goes well in the process, i`ll be following with great interest. Huge improvement with the badge alone, small thing but big impact. How are the seats/ interior in general ?

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Doors are always bigger than you expect. I once drove home from a scrapyard with a Capri door in the back of my wife's Nova saloon. The only way it would go in was with the seat fully forward (and I mean fully foward). As a strudy six-footer, I found driving it tricky to say the least.

Signum rear doors fit in the back of a signum with the back seats down, huge space in them with the seats folded

1 - 20 of 141 Posts