Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
15/03/2019 - Update

Thinking of doing another group buy and stocking up for myself as well. Does anyone want to get in on this? Could ideally do with 5 buyers to make the deal work. Price would be £380 for the set.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Hi everyone

I've just asked our supplier in Italy for fresh prices / availability of the rear arms for the GTA model, which is:

Pair of trailing arms (1 x left, 1 x right)
Pair of front transverse arms (these are GTA specific with uprated bushes)
Pair of rear transverse arms
Pair of hub bushes

If anyone else missed out on the last group buy, this might be your chance. Keep your fingers crossed all these parts are still available in genuine Alfa, as the aftermarket options are not acceptable quality in my opinion (bushes too soft even when new, and they wear too quickly) and going down the Powerflex route adds in a little bit more harshness than I would like, especially for a purely road-going car.

Link to the last group buy:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/1109745-gta-rear-suspension-overhauls.html

I'll update the thread with prices when I know, but it would be good to have an idea of how many people might be interested to try and negotiate the best possible discount.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
A quick question....my car gets very little use, when it is driven it's all pretty gentle stuff and it's on 56,000 miles. To me everything is fine at the rear and nothing has ever come up on an MOT. However I know parts are getting scarse. I'm wondering how long the current items on the car will last? Is there a typical mileage that they last to?

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A quick question....my car gets very little use, when it is driven it's all pretty gentle stuff and it's on 56,000 miles. To me everything is fine at the rear and nothing has ever come up on an MOT. However I know parts are getting scarse. I'm wondering how long the current items on the car will last? Is there a typical mileage that they last to?
At 100k they're usually tired and replacement makes the car feel better, even if the existing arms are not at the point where they'd fail an MOT. You do get failures before this point in time, but not really much, nothing like how the front suspension requires fairly regular replacement.

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm interested but also wondering what's the amount of labour required fit these parts?
Worst part of the job is getting the long bolt out of the shock & rear hub, and then also getting the old bush inner races off the bolts which go through the subframe.. If this goes well, you could fit the full kit in maybe 3 ish hours. If it doesn't go well and everything is horribly corroded, then you could probably double it.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Hi everyone

I've just asked our supplier in Italy for fresh prices / availability of the rear arms for the GTA model, which is:

Pair of trailing arms (1 x left, 1 x right)
Pair of front transverse arms (these are GTA specific with uprated bushes)
Pair of rear transverse arms
Pair of hub bushes

If anyone else missed out on the last group buy, this might be your chance. Keep your fingers crossed all these parts are still available in genuine Alfa, as the aftermarket options are not acceptable quality in my opinion (bushes too soft even when new, and they wear too quickly) and going down the Powerflex route adds in a little bit more harshness than I would like, especially for a purely road-going car.

Link to the last group buy:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/1109745-gta-rear-suspension-overhauls.html

I'll update the thread with prices when I know, but it would be good to have an idea of how many people might be interested to try and negotiate the best possible discount.

Cheers

Dan
What in your opinion is the biggest killer of suspension items.. just time .. degrading over time .. mileage or usage.. potholes track time etc

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit of everything really - rear suspension isn't prone to a whole lot of wear and tear. I'm sure if you use it hard you will wear it out faster. I had a 147 GTA in recently, 1 owner from new and 90-odd thou on the clock, he said he has always driven it fairly gently and the suspension on the car was all in good order, front lower wishbones had recently been changed for the first time, and the rear end was just starting to show a little bit of softness but nowhere near MOT failure, and his tyres weren't wearing unevenly either. Replacing some of the components at this point would only make things noticeably better if it was driven hard I'd think, you would probably struggle to notice the difference driving normally.

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had word back, there is some stock of the GTA specific arms, so we can go ahead. The kit price is coming in at £394 inc VAT now, to confirm:

- Pair of rear transverse arms
- Pair of GTA specific front transverse arms
- Pair of trailing arms
- Pair of hub bushes
- Postage to mainland UK address

(all genuine Alfa)

I'm going to buy a few sets for stock, anyone else wanting to buy a set please let me know.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
At 100k they're usually tired and replacement makes the car feel better, even if the existing arms are not at the point where they'd fail an MOT. You do get failures before this point in time, but not really much, nothing like how the front suspension requires fairly regular replacement.
That's useful to know, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yes please, Dan. Having looked back through the history I'm pretty sure my rear suspension is all original (apart from shocks/springs) - 126k miles.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't see any mention of rear suspension work in my service history (as above, apart from shocks/springs) and the car has covered 121K miles. Although I haven't noticed any issues I hope to keep the car long term.

Please include me if it's not too late and assuming you post to Dublin, cheers.

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All part of my "future proofing" plan for GTA ownership. So far got spare drive shafts, ECU and front bumper.....
Not a bad idea.. Last thing you want is a failure and not be able to source the parts you need. I can remember waiting 6 months ish for an ECU and that was 2011.

Would a new-old-stock GTA SW rear bumper (minus splitter) be of any interest to you?

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just confirming that these are fine for the 147 GTA and I can organise separate shipping from you to Australia, if yes, please include me and thanks!
I can do, I've sent you a PM with details :)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Not a bad idea.. Last thing you want is a failure and not be able to source the parts you need. I can remember waiting 6 months ish for an ECU and that was 2011.

Would a new-old-stock GTA SW rear bumper (minus splitter) be of any interest to you?
Not at the moment Dan. Spent enough on her, and an additional bumper is harder to hide in the garage! Thank you though!

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries, worth an ask. Its been sitting in my in-law's cellar since I moved up here. Someone will need it one day I'm sure :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I had a set from the last group buy and the car feels really good now. I also had a slightly bent rear arm somehow.. but coupled with arbs and new shocks and springs, the car feels brilliant again. Down side was everything was corroded (as you'd expect really) so the mech had a hell of a job getting bolts out.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.