Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I am thinking of buying this,
CFAB01 Alfa V6 plenum with ECU bracket - ACT Performance Products - your source for after market TVR upgrades, components and performance accessories. but have a couple of questions before spending my wife's hard earned dollars:-
1. If I order it with standard throttle body and have the vehicle flashed/tuned is it worth the time and money?
2. If I order it with the Ferrari 360 throttle body and have the vehicle flashed/tuned is that worth all the dramas? I've read conflicting reports re 360 throttle bodys fitted to otherwise almost stock 3.2 Alfa 's so don't want to waste money on a modification that only gives almost no gain. I would rather spend it on a holiday:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:.

Allan

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The f360 throttle body works really well, no dramas. Plugs in, adapts and the car pulls hard. The f430 (bigger) is the one that causes bad running and needs remaps and effort to get right. Not sure on the plenum.. don't think there's much of a gain. Maybe some low down torque ? The only guy I know that fitted the plenum and the 430 tb had issues for months trying to get it right, and was 20hp down on his previous power run. It ran like a bag of **** and was slow as hell. Other people may well have different experiences, and it may have been something else wrong with his car, I can't remember now, but I do know he got ****ed off after 3 or 4 remap attempts from Gus and sold it. 360 TB, big thumbs up :D me and my mechanic loved that mod. Some people aren't convinced.. but the car really pulled well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The f360 throttle body works really well, no dramas. Plugs in, adapts and the car pulls hard. The f430 (bigger) is the one that causes bad running and needs remaps and effort to get right. Not sure on the plenum.. don't think there's much of a gain. Maybe some low down torque ? The only guy I know that fitted the plenum and the 430 tb had issues for months trying to get it right, and was 20hp down on his previous power run. It ran like a bag of **** and was slow as hell. Other people may well have different experiences, and it may have been something else wrong with his car, I can't remember now, but I do know he got ****ed off after 3 or 4 remap attempts from Gus and sold it. 360 TB, big thumbs up :D
So do you think the planum with the 360 t. body would be a worthwile go or just go the t. body and flash

Thanks, Allan

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
With the 360 you need to mill out the neck of the oem plenum a little, to match the ID of the bigger TB for nice smooth flow. And a bit of jiggery pokery with the bolts.. But otherwise it fits right on, even the OEM intake goes over it. I wouldn't bother with the plenum personally.. no-ones ever reported any real benefit. I think the only one worth considering is SELCUK's which seems to deliver more and get better reviews.. but that's a lot more cash. Worth researching more though.. I'm happy to be proved wrong on the plenum.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the 360 you need to mill out the neck of the plenum a little, to match the ID of the bigger TB for nice smooth flow. And a bit of jiggery pokery with the bolts.. But otherwise it fits right on, even the OEM intake goes over it. I wouldn't bother with the plenum personally.. no-ones ever reported any real benefit. I think the only one worth considering is SELCUK's which seems to deliver more and get better reviews.. but that's a lot more cash. Worth researching more though.. I'm happy to be proved wrong on the plenum.
Thanks for that, will do more research as you sugested.

Allan

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I considered the plenum upgrade I did my own flow analysis of the stock plenum and the ACT version (and similar products). Some measurements I had to estimate but I think they are close.

Stock plenum is not ideal but all my simulations came out in favor for it over the carbon one! I doubt the aftermarket manufacturers have spent much time analyzing things properly. Even without geometric restrictions of the engine bay it is difficult to come up with a shape that works well. This might explain the difficulties people experience trying to run them in.
AR engineers did a good job with the stock one. It survived performance increases from 190hp to 250hp unchanged so am quite sure it is not a bottleneck.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Before mapping, just by fitting plenum alone on 3 tests with standard and modified cars we have seen over 10 lb ft torque and extra BHP, with mapping up to 25 Lb ft and 18 BHP.

Sounds good capacity is more suited to a 3.2 and the shape in a more proven performance shape.. in fact it has most of the right elements to be pretty perfect.. but never tested one so can't say how it performs on the dyno.. but the one i,m making is similar in design and shape except with a different inlet angle and ram pipes and in alloy as i cant do carbon.. but will have heat insulation between engine and manifold base as the standard has a huge surface area between engine and manifold base

·
Registered
14 Posts
I search this mod in last month, but no one have dyno report for stock and carbon plenum as i know.
F360 TB (76mm) is safety upgrade. Some guys said work well without remap with stock plenum.
F430 need remap.
ACT said carbon plenum must remap also. (Not sure any bad impact without remap)

Another option is Cayenne TB (Bosh # 0280750114)
More cheaper and bigger (78mm)
I want to use this one with carbon plenum. Sent to ACT and checked any possible customize the TB size and plug and play without adapter, but no response.

Anyway i will do it after upgrade manifold and down pipe. F360 or Cayenne.:devious:

·
Registered
808 Posts
With the 360 you need to mill out the neck of the oem plenum a little, to match the ID of the bigger TB for nice smooth flow. And a bit of jiggery pokery with the bolts.. But otherwise it fits right on, even the OEM intake goes over it. I wouldn't bother with the plenum personally.. no-ones ever reported any real benefit. I think the only one worth considering is SELCUK's which seems to deliver more and get better reviews.. but that's a lot more cash. Worth researching more though.. I'm happy to be proved wrong on the plenum.
I think its the other way round, the Selcuk one isn't as well shaped as the ACT one (but I think it looks better!).
I recently bought the ACT version and will be fitting it with a Cayenne V8 TB (78mm). Bolt pattern for this TB is almost same as F430.
Would I do the same on a close to standard 3.2 engine, probably not. Big expense for not massive gains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think its the other way round, the Selcuk one isn't as well shaped as the ACT one (but I think it looks better!).
I recently bought the ACT version and will be fitting it with a Cayenne V8 TB (78mm). Bolt pattern for this TB is almost same as F430.
Would I do the same on a close to standard 3.2 engine, probably not. Big expense for not massive gains.
Cayenne TB direct connect to ACT without adapter !?
If yes, great news.

·
Registered
Brera TBi
246 Posts
Thought I would chime in here

I bought the ACT carbon plenum and asked for it with a flange to fit the (82mm?) F430 throttle body. Therefore no milling of any plenums is needed for optimal air flow. So if you were thinking about upgrading the plenum AND the throttle body do them together so you can get the ACT carbon plenum made to match.

My car has not had a remap since the change over, it runs absolutely fine and seems to have more low down torque and a bit more top end pull, the mid-range seems unaffected. Once when I was driving it really hard redlining every gear the engine management light flashed on no loss in power of driveability at the time but I pulled over to check it regardless - it was a fuelling related error, suggesting low fuel pressure or insufficient fuel provided can't quite remember as I cleared it and it never came back. To me however that suggests the engine was running a little bit lean at the top end, hence more air is provided by this plenum and with a remap to increase the fuelling I should see a little more power?

One negative is when you start it up from cold it screams up to 2K rpm for about 5 seconds before coming back down, presumably because of the larger butterfly valve until the idle sorts itself out. I have tried to do a throttle body reset but to no avail! Frightens the life out of people when you start it up cold.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Spending money for this is a waste, It has no positive effect whatsoever to the engine behaviour. I would concentrate my efforts on the exhaust side and general health of the engine. A lot of work was done by Alfa on the intake... I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I also bought the Cayenne throttlebody (78mm) for 75 euros :)
Bought 1000mmx150mmx5mm aluminium sheet. Plan to do Autocad drawing for adapter (stanard plenum+adapter+Porsche TB) and then CNC it out.
The 2.5L V6 plenum and 3.2L V6 plenum are same? The original TB screw mounts also?
If so then I want to find 2.5L plenum and make exact measurments where the plenum screw holes will be on the adapter (... screw ... holes... :biglaugh: ).
Do not want to take off my car's plenum for that if I can get same result from borrowed 2.5L plenum.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
156 2.5 plenum and TB's are the same as the GTA's / 3.2 GT. Only difference is the script.

166 plenums are different, they have a longer "neck". Not sure about GTV plenums.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am 3D printing an adapter for a Porsche Cayenne TB (78mm-72mm) to the stock plenum. When tested I could make more if there is interest. Could also be done for F360 or F430 TB

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice! You think 3D printed part stands against the constant heat and shock of the running car?

Could You send the CAD drawing to my email? :) Would much appreciate!
mario.pildre AT gmail.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
3D printed parts mechanical properties are equal to nonprinted parts so yes. Strength depends more on design.

I am a selfemployed mechanical engineer by trade and design stuff for a living so not to keen on spreading designs out. And it is not tested yet so would do that before making more. Price is also a lot better if you make, say ten pieces at a time. No intention of making money here rather supply a good product for members if they have the need.

·
Registered
630 Posts
3D printed parts mechanical properties are equal to nonprinted parts so yes. Strength depends more on design.

I am a selfemployed mechanical engineer by trade and design stuff for a living so not to keen on spreading designs out. And it is not tested yet so would do that before making more. Price is also a lot better if you make, say ten pieces at a time. No intention of making money here rather supply a good product for members if they have the need.
I am def keen for your adapter, the Ferrari parts are way too expensive to experiment with but the Porsche is OK - if it doesn't do much or doesn't work can write it off to experience haha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts